Author Topic: queen cells  (Read 1290 times)

Offline mohawkny

queen cells
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:26:41 pm »
Hello all long time since i've been on,  All is well with the bees.

Question:

Made 4 splits, one of the splits had 3 queen cells 2 very close together and off by itself.  I cut the one off by itself out and put in another split that did not seem to make a queen.  The 2 queen cells that are left are right next to one another.  Today I check them and one was torn down and the other is still there.   How fast do the take down a queen cell after the queen is born.  The earliest the queen could have been born was Yesterday.  Do I have a queen running around  or did that queen die..  one getting ready to be born or is the one in the cell dead.  Would like to take the queen cell and give it to a poor hive I have.  I know it is hard to say.  what do you all think.

Offline RAST

Re: queen cells
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »
I would leave it alone, can't say I have seen a queen cell torn down that fast. In my humble experience the first hatched queen will chew a hole in the side of other queen cells to kill them. If the first hatched (and they tore it down that fast) did not chew into it, it may be dead and would be to no avail to try to use it.

Offline mohawkny

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
so far I have left it alone, we will see.  thanks

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:21:19 am »
If the 2 cells were the only Queen cells in the hive I would suspect that the queen has emerged from the cell that looks intact but the cap was shut and the bees resealed it. I would leave it alone. Every time you go in and disturb the hive when they are in the process of requeening you increase the risk of failure.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:51 am »
...one of the splits had 3 queen cells, 2 very close together and (one) off by itself...
The three queen cells you mention could be signaling a supersedure of the queen in that original hive.  I would keep an eye on the queen of that original hive, she could be substandard in some way.  I would not be surprised if the bees try to supersede her again.  I would leave them alone while they do it.
Lee_Burough