Author Topic: Saskatraz Hybrid  (Read 2666 times)

Offline gtrr4

Saskatraz Hybrid
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:24 pm »
I purchased a mated queen from OHB last week.  She is in a hive now still in her cage getting acclimated.  I did a search here for this strain and did not see any results.  Anyone here in NA tried this breed yet?  If so what were the results?

Jason

Offline rober

• Gold Member
Re: Saskatraz Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:50:24 pm »
sent you a P.M.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:37:35 pm »
Saskatraz is from up here in Canada (Saskatchewan). It is a sought after line, I know that novascotiabeefarmer has brought in queens of this stock, and I believe he is happy with them.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:56 pm »
This is a strain between That line and Oliveras's bees in northern CA.  I'll keep you all posted.  I opened the cork today, so we'll see how long the candy lasts.

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 09:06:48 am »
I don't have any experience with Saskatraz.  I hope you keep us posted on how the Saskatraz queen performs.  Do you think the summer heat will make a difference?  I know that Lapps Bee Supply in Iowa uses and sells Saskatraz queens so they might do quite well in Ohio. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:22:48 pm »
i am also not familiar with saskatraz hybrids.
what is a saskatraz hybrid?

thanks for your post jason.

i am curious and would like more info, i googled this the last 20 minutes, i am very curious about the genetic history for educational purposes but really could not find what the genetic history/start is?  i did go to ohb's website and the saskatraz honeybee breeding project website.

good luck jason and keep us posted, i am interested in your future posts, thanks!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »
I was told about this strain from another beekeeper.  What I googled is probably the same you read, and nothing different from what he too me.  Very hygentic and mite resistant, good cold weather honey bee and a high honey producer.  I reached out to a supplier in Canada at first and they told man they worked with OHB.  So I got Queen from OHB on Thursday of last week.  I made up a nuc of some capped brood and was ready to put her in on Saturday.  I was saddened to find the nuc infested with hive beetles....the brood was no good, HB larvae all over.  So I made another with brood from other hives and put her in on Monday.  Tuesday I checked and the bee's seemed ok with her so pulled the cork.  Her are some pictures from yesterday.  I already saw some eggs where some of the capped brood had already emerged.  So I added a frame that was 80% drawn out.  I hope to see eggs in it Sunday when I take another peek.

The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline gtrr4

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:44:16 pm »
Today's update, she is backfilling as soon as the brood is emerging.  Here are a couple more pictures that I cropped.

The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, Kathi