Author Topic: Hives  (Read 14903 times)

Offline Marty68

Hives
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »
I need some help on changing my hive up. I have 2 mediums on it now and would like to put them in deeps. Need some ideas on how I could do that, or should I just have that hive all mediums. Ty marty

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Hives
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »
Hey Marty.
Is your hive right now just in mediums? If so, and you want to use deeps for brood, simple wait until spring, add a deep on top at that time and let them move up into it. Then,  when they have some brood in it remove your mediums and add a second deep, and use your mediums for honey supers.
I think I understand what you are asking?
By the way, if you only have one hive, it would be a great opportunity to do a split and have two hives (a must).
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marty68

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »
Ok will try that. Yes only one hive and was gonna split it. How many bees should I put in the split. As I would like to get honey this year. Would I put them in a nuc or start them in a deep and let them just go at it. Ty marty

Offline Marty68

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »
Once the queen moves up to the deep, should I put a queen reducer on so she can't get down the bottom anymore. Or what should be done with or if any brood that's left in the mediums

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:56 pm »
Here is what I would do.
In the spring when the hive is strong, split your hive in two (1 medium each) add a purchased queen to the box without one, and set a new deep on each. When they have mostly drawn those out, add a second deep to each, and when they have made good progress on those, put your mediums on top with or without an excluder (your preference).
My opinion only, others will chime in I'm sure.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marty68

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »
Ty perry I will give it a shot. But I also hope to have a cpl more from a friend that might give 1 hive up to me.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
The deeps you add do the bees have to draw the comb or do you have supers that are drawn? Drawing comb takes time so if honey is your goal I would add the deep of foundation as Perry said but when they get it drawn and layed and full of bees and it is time to add the next supers. I would swap the deep and medium and place my honey supers on. getting the bees to draw a second deep for a brood chamber will take away from your honey crop. If the bees need to draw comb for to store the honey crop in you could use the second deep as a honey super to get the bees to draw the comb so the are ready for the bees the following year. I would over winter in a deep and medium super, with the milder climate you are in late fall and early spring feeding is not a problem.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Marty68

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »
It is a mixed medium. Half with drawn comb and the rest are foundations. So I don't think they would have to take time to build. Not all the foundation are formed yet but they are on the outside of the drawn combs. Hope I said this right

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 05:35:26 pm »
marty, is this a first year queen? meaning did you start this hive last spring?  btw, some great advice by apis and perry.  just to add to what the guys said, you could consider doing a 'soft divide/split", into a nuc, and let that build into a deep, etc. a soft divide works for strong hives that you want honey from, but you only take away just enough frames of brood and bees to keep them from swarming.  i have had good success with this.

also, you said that right about the foundation and drawn comb. if your current set up is with some drawn comb and foundation, the bees will have to expend the energy to draw the foundation out at the ends or outside of the drawn combs.  how many combs are left undrawn?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marty68

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 10:01:56 am »
not sure have to look when the weather permits. it's in the mid 40's right now and raining. is that good enough to open the hive and take a peek at what is going on and see how man unfilled frames i have left.

Offline Marty68

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:17 am »
no i think it's a 2nd or 3rd year queen. when i got this queen and hive it had only 1000 bees in it. i took over it because some wasps and killed 3 hives and this is what was left.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »
okay marty, so you have two mediums, of mixed comb and undrawn foundation.  you would like to get these in deeps, would like to do a divide, and would like to make some honey?

first, like apis said, anytime bees have to draw comb from foundation, this will take away from honey production. especially if we do not have drawn comb available.  so if you want to get your bees into deeps, do you have drawn foundation available for the deeps?  if not, bees will need to draw this out whether it be a deep or two deeps or a medium, and will affect any honey harvest.

what i would do if i desired my bees in deeps is to do as perry suggested, put the deep on top your two mediums, and with undrawn foundation FEED syrup, and don't stop feeding syrup until the frames are fully drawn.  your queen will move up and lay as soon as the bees have prepared the cells enough to do so.  when that is drawn add the second and again feed and don't stop feeding syrup until the combs are drawn in the 2nd deep.  you can remove the mediums underneath as soon as these become empty.  if you are concerned about brood below in the mediums, you could place a queen excluder on to prevent her from returning, the bees will take care of the brood, and when all is hatched, then remove the medium/s and the excluder.

if you do as apis suggested, using a deep and a medium for brood, and a medium for honey, don't move the mediums out to set on top of the deep of empty foundation, until the deep is fully drawn and the queen is laying in it.  so what i am saying is don't separate the brood that is in a medium below a deep of undrawn foundation.  you are apt to lose bees and brood if you hit a cold snap.

hope i made sense?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marty68

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:56 pm »
yes it does. i follow what you are saying. sometimes i'm not the reddest apple on the tree lol. just need a little more descriptions at times. ty

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 12:26:52 pm »
me either marty, but in general i don't think many beekeepers are, just ask jack........... ;D :laugh:
Forum Sponsor

Offline ShepherdsWatchFarm

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:05 pm »
Here's what I did:

I added a deep of frames and foundation to the top. They will move up but if they don't stick a medium full of brood and one of honey into the deep to encourage them to draw out adjacent deep. frames. They'll probably draw comb on the bottom of those medium frames but that is easily cut off.

Once they draw frames in the deep, I placed the deep with proper frames on the bottom, making sure the queen was in it. I put a queen excluder on that and put the medium on. Once the deep is full add the second deep under the excluder.

Note: They will most likely make queen cells in the medium once you exclude the queen. I used them to make splits but you can destroy them if you don't want to divide. Just make sure your original queen is still good.
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my beekeeping stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Offline Marty68

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 09:30:49 am »
Ty shepards