Author Topic: HOPGAURD  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: HOPGAURD
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 11:17:18 pm »
Hi Rast, curious what kind of treatment are you using these days?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 11:29:57 pm »
    IIRC, what it comes down to....  is that to become resistant they would have to EAT it, or it would have to penetrate somewhere, and if they did that it would kill them.   As I understand it........ its been a "few" years since I read about the research....

The OA gets into the mite through the soft lobes on its feet, that apparently remain moist, and it kills them... IF, enough of it also got into the bees system, it will also kill them. Since this does not happen, OR, does not happen to a majority of the bees, (With sublimation) is why they do not become immune...   If it gets in, they die, that makes it hard to build immunity.
   I DID ask a lot of questions about why it doesnt kill brood etc...    I was told.. because it doesnt....    ???
   The research at that time was being done over in Europe, where OA had been in use for over 20 years, and showed that it was still just as effective as it was 20 years earlier...   
   20 years....    I can't honestly say mites will NEVER become immune to it, but if it lasts as long over here I won't live long enough to deal with it....    However, using OA DRIP method, DOES kill bees, they clean it off themselves, and ingest it... I do not know if the mites do the same thing????   
    The last research I saw on OA as it was being tested over here, they were using it in a hive EVERY WEEK for months, with no noticeable mortality to the bees, but they had close to zero mites in those hives...   I have been using it since well before it was legal to use in commercial apiaries, after I read the research from Europe and Asia.   I will conceded that I cant say they CANT become immune to it, but like I said, from what I read, using the sublimation method it is very unlikely.   

Sublimation is the transition of a substance directly from the solid to the gas state, without passing through the liquid state. Randy Oliver was one of the people testing it back then, and he adamantly opposed the DRIP method, and swore by the vapor method...  Because with Drip they ingested it and it did cause some mortality.
   If there are people who want to know more I will try to take the time to FIND all of that research and re post it, instead of just running off my faulty memory.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*
The following users thanked this post: RAST

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 08:39:29 am »
Thanks lazy.  Ive been wanting to mix things up as far as treatment goes for awhile now and am planning on OAV in late winter/early spring, probably mid march, and MAQS after honey harvest just to feel more confident about not building resistance.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 08:42:03 am »
P.S.  Jen? Apologies for highjacking the thread.  We now return to your regularly scheduled program.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: LazyBkpr

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 09:46:09 am »
I think Jen is tolerant of our rantings by now?    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 12:18:43 pm »
Good morning Ted and Lazy, actually I just now got back onto this thread for a reason. The short rants are good due to them bringing up other subjects that we obviously need to discuss.

I'm starting a new subject.. Oxalic Acid

Actually, what do you think of starting new subjects like: Oxalic Acid. MAQS and Formic Pro. Apivar. Hopgaurd. All being a subject on their own. What happens is the thread starts getting convoluted.

Also, some time has passed and there is more current info about each individual treatment nowadays. Like the last OA subject was from Lazy back in 2014.

I know that there are already threads back in the library of bee knowledge on Oxalic Acid, but frankly I don't have the time to wade thru 23 pages. I'd like to start fresh  ;)

Offline RAST

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 01:31:57 pm »
Using OAV Jen

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2022, 03:08:02 pm »
There already were threads discussing these topics specifically the OA that is stickyed to this forum… as for the others, since they were a while ago, I’ll allow new threads on them  O:-)
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 09:28:58 pm »
Hi Zweefer, I don't know what you mean by stickyed?

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2022, 10:16:09 pm »
It is permanently stuck to the top of the board
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 11:38:06 pm »
Oh oh! the little push in pins, I got it. Thanks