Author Topic: Hi from Cape Sable Island NS  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Bryant67

Hi from Cape Sable Island NS
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:51:09 am »
I would like to say hi to everyone here, I am from Cape Sable Island, Shelburne Co., Nova Scotia, I started beekeeping in June of 2014, I purchased two nucs from Perry and I built all of my own hive equipment. I had a small swarm in late October and was able to get the entire swarm, Perry advised me to add it to a weaker hive which I did add they seem to be doing well. Looking to purchase three more nucs in the spring and do a couple splits with the two existing hives. With the three new nucs I would be setting up a second apiary, my goal would be to have 20 to 25 hives over the next few years. So far its been a great learning experience which I am enjoying very much plus I enjoy building the hive equipment through the winter. Like to thank everyone who is a part of this web site .... wow a lot of great information here........Looking forward to making many new friends here  ;)    .....And a special thanks to my good friend Perry for all of his help and advise.     

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: Hi from Cape Sable Island NS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:02 am »
Greeetings on joining the forum, Bryant.  What can I say,  you got off to a real great start.  With Perry helping you along you've got it made.
That advice he gave you about strengthening a weaker hive, rather than trying to get a late swarm to over-winter was very smart on his part---and you were a smart man to take his advice and not think that you could "outsmart" the "conservative" advice he gave you .
I hope all your dreams about building up and developing come true. 
I'll throw in some unrequested words of advice from my side of the world: step slowly as you grow, don't get ahead of yourself and devote more time to reading about bees at this stage of the game and not too much time building equipment.  Build yourself a reasonable stock of woodenware, but don't overdo it.  How much would be overdoing it?  Consult with Perry.
 :welcome:

Offline Bryant67

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:51 am »
Good day efmesch, Thanks for the good advise, I take any advise I can from those that know. Last year I didn't have any extra hive equipment and I so realized that was a mistake. I do read a lot of books on beekeeping, special on queen raising which I am very interested in, I have purchased the "Nicot" system and hope to give it a try this spring, like I said I would like to reach 20 to 25 hives but my main interest would be queen raising, I haven't been able to find anyone in my area that does that to learn from, might find someone here to chat with about that.

it was nice to meet you and I hope we have many chats over time here.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 05:43:41 am »
 Welcome Bryant67 to the forum, glad to have you with us.

Ken

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:40:58 am »
Welcome Bryant!  Glad t have you with us here. I envy your position with Perry nearby. You couldnt find a better beekeeper to help you when you need it. Just dont tell him I said that. He does get sort of puffed up if you pat him on the back.   ;D   Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:37 am »
Welcome!!  Pull up a chair and chat awhile.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:17:38 am »
So you'd like to specialize in queen rearing.  That's great!  It's a challenging and rewarding aspect of beekeeping.  Since I'm being so brazen as go give advice not requested, I'll throw in principal #1 when it comes to raising them (after you've read the principles of the art and have the general idea of what has to be done and how):  Don't be afraid to try any technique that you think will work with you. .  The only way you'll master the art is by doing it.  It's scary the first time you have to pick up a queen and handle her (hopefully, not manhandle).  Grafting requires steady hands, patience and practice.  The more you practice, the more your hands will be steady and confident.  There's no better way to learn than by doing.  Oh yes, by the way, get used to the idea of working glovelessly with queen rearing.  Steady, confident hands don't attract stings, but be prepared for them mentally and don't lose control of yourself when they come.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:02 am »
welcome to the forum bryant!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bryant67

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 11:31:43 am »
Thanks "efmesch" I will take any help or advise that is given to me...........thanks again

Offline Curtchann

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 02:45:36 pm »
Welcome Bryan!

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:42:57 pm »
Hey Bryant, glad you pulled up a chair here! :occasion14:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bryant67

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 04:51:42 pm »
Yes Perry I like coming on here, lots of info, nice people...........when I have time I am usually here reading different post ...........that's a good idea ....we should get together sometime for a  :occasion14:

Offline Michelle

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:00 pm »
Hi Bryant! I am in Nova Scotia too! Welcome to the best bee keeping website ever!
“One can no more approach people without love than one can approach bees without care. Such is the quality of bees...”
― Leo Tolstoy

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 05:20:18 pm »
Bryant welcome to the forum from the other side of the country.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Marbees

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum Bryant67, glad you got your nucs from an honest guy and a great beekeeper.
Your plan sounds good, keep making that equipment, you will need it very soon. :)
Bee Remarkable

Offline Bryant67

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:04 am »
Thanks everyone for the "welcome" to the forum  ;)