Author Topic: Hi from Wanna-Bee Beekeeper from Ontario  (Read 16776 times)

Offline Rob

Re: Hi from Wanna-Bee Beekeeper from Ontario
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 02:50:30 pm »
Mostly local mutt's.. I Import queens every year.  I got VSH GOld queens from Mike Haney last year, this year I should be in line for Old SOl and hopefully a queen or two from Tates.  I have installed packages, and nucs, and replaced many of the queens voluntarily or through supersedure.  Tha vast majority of my hives are from previous swarm boxes or cut outs, with remnants of my mentors bees somewhere in the mix..   Some pictures of my queens on the queens page, go to the bottom of the page and scroll up a wee bit for the slide show;

http://outyard.weebly.com/queens.html

you can see the electric wire we use to keep the horses away from the hives here. I am standing in the pasture taking the picture;

and, my wife on MY horse in the town square on memorial day. HER horse bucked her off so now she thinks we are going to trade;

Thanks Scott, I feel a little better knowing how close your hives are to your horses. We probably will have at least 150 to 200 feet separation plus a treeline between the hives and closest pasture. Good looking Bay Quarter horse ( I think ), that wifey is on and as always, happy wife happy life, so you may have to give that one up if she really wants to trade.  :no:

I am still deciding what race to go with but I guess it's all dependent on weather and wintering in my local area so will be contacting local beeks to see what works for them and go from there. Your website is chocked full of information and perusing it daily to see what I can absorb.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 03:06:21 pm »
Rob, whatever race you go with, they will be mutts in 2 years, so no need in paying extra now.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Rob

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 03:29:59 pm »
Rob, whatever race you go with, they will be mutts in 2 years, so no need in paying extra now.
Hey Iddee, I'm guessing that is because eventually they will mix with bees local to the area?? Any chance you could provide me with a quick explanation?  :newhere:

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »
Each time they swarm, the old queen goes with the swarm, leaving queen cells behind. One of the emerging queens goes out and mates with 10 to 25 drones. The second time it swarms, one of those drone's daughters will be the new queen and will mate with 10 to 25 again. With that generation, you have 1/4 what you bought, and 3/4 from up to 50 drones.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:15 pm »
Iddee is right. Be PROUD of those Mutts that survive the winter!
   What ever race you go with will only last as long as the Original queen does. When you replace her, the bees change. if they swarm ,the new queen mates locally, etc, etc..    that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Package queens from the south have a difficult time surviving here, much less where you are. When they supersede the queen, It makes me happy, because I feel that the new queen will have a better chance of surviving the winters.
   I import queens every year, but my bees are still mutts. I make new queens from the best queens i have, but those queens are mating with the feral drones, and the drones from the NWCarniolan hives, the VSH Gold hives, the MN Hygienic hives etc, etc...  so the bees are a mix of everything nearby.   I am OK with that, as long as they are gentle, productive, and their resistances continue to get better!

Your quite right, thats a quarter horse, she has some foundation bloodlines, but she has a difficult time deciding what color she is. She has a brown head and black legs, mane and tail, but the rest of her changes colors with the seasons.. buckskin, red roan, and even WHITE through the spring.   She came to our place here when she was two weeeks old, and I "broke" her myself.   Broke...   she was my pet DOG while growing up. She followed me everywhere..  when the time came to put a saddle and bridle on her.. i just.. DID IT, and we rode into town together, the first time she had EVER been ridden.
   three years ago, my wife decided we needed to get rid of the horses. Hers had just bucked her off, and she was hurt, bruised and angry.. She has NOT ridden her horse since that happened..  so neither of them got ridden, until she decided they HAD TO GO... 
   I told her she was welcome to sell her horse, but not mine.
   She said, You cant even ride her why keep her?
   So I went out, saddled her up and rode her all over town. I rode her around the house, then I opened the house door and walked her inside. (We have stained concrete floors for a reason)   She (the wife) was completely astounded.. the next day SHE saddled up and rode MY hourse all over the place..  She has been doing that about once a week ever since. She now rides bareback so she doesnt have to fuss with the saddle..    We wont even discuss the FREAK her Andalusion is....
   BOTH were bred to a REALLY nice spotted draft. When the foals are born and weaned, the freak finds a new home so i can work the foals without her influence.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Rob

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 08:06:21 pm »
Each time they swarm, the old queen goes with the swarm, leaving queen cells behind. One of the emerging queens goes out and mates with 10 to 25 drones. The second time it swarms, one of those drone's daughters will be the new queen and will mate with 10 to 25 again. With that generation, you have 1/4 what you bought, and 3/4 from up to 50 drones.

Iddee is right. Be PROUD of those Mutts that survive the winter!
   What ever race you go with will only last as long as the Original queen does. When you replace her, the bees change. if they swarm ,the new queen mates locally, etc, etc..    that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Package queens from the south have a difficult time surviving here, much less where you are. When they supersede the queen, It makes me happy, because I feel that the new queen will have a better chance of surviving the winters.
   I import queens every year, but my bees are still mutts. I make new queens from the best queens i have, but those queens are mating with the feral drones, and the drones from the NWCarniolan hives, the VSH Gold hives, the MN Hygienic hives etc, etc...  so the bees are a mix of everything nearby.   I am OK with that, as long as they are gentle, productive, and their resistances continue to get better!

Your quite right, thats a quarter horse, she has some foundation bloodlines, but she has a difficult time deciding what color she is. She has a brown head and black legs, mane and tail, but the rest of her changes colors with the seasons.. buckskin, red roan, and even WHITE through the spring.   She came to our place here when she was two weeeks old, and I "broke" her myself.   Broke...   she was my pet DOG while growing up. She followed me everywhere..  when the time came to put a saddle and bridle on her.. i just.. DID IT, and we rode into town together, the first time she had EVER been ridden.
   three years ago, my wife decided we needed to get rid of the horses. Hers had just bucked her off, and she was hurt, bruised and angry.. She has NOT ridden her horse since that happened..  so neither of them got ridden, until she decided they HAD TO GO... 
   I told her she was welcome to sell her horse, but not mine.
   She said, You cant even ride her why keep her?
   So I went out, saddled her up and rode her all over town. I rode her around the house, then I opened the house door and walked her inside. (We have stained concrete floors for a reason)   She (the wife) was completely astounded.. the next day SHE saddled up and rode MY hourse all over the place..  She has been doing that about once a week ever since. She now rides bareback so she doesnt have to fuss with the saddle..    We wont even discuss the FREAK her Andalusion is....
   BOTH were bred to a REALLY nice spotted draft. When the foals are born and weaned, the freak finds a new home so i can work the foals without her influence.

Thanks Iddee and Scott, that's the reason I joined this forum. I was reading through Iddee's post and trying to wrap my head around what he was saying. It was sort of making sense to me but my lack of experience was preventing me from grasping the whole concept. Scotts follow up post just reinforced what Iddee was mentioning and now I get it. I find I can only learn so much by reading books and watching video's but I think nothing replaces actually doing it so I am looking forward to that. Now I just need to figure out what hives......... ???

Scott, that's a great story about your mare. Stained concrete floors or not, it would be interesting to see who would have been on the working end of that fork if........................ :laugh:

We are like you, awaiting two foals, one due in March and one in April. We usually have two every year. One is heading to a woman in Florida and the other to a gentleman in Caledon, Ontario.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 08:13:33 pm »
Hopefully we get to see pictures of them!

*Sponsor*

Offline Rob

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »
Hopefully we get to see pictures of them!
Absolutely, we can share both ways when the time comes. Anxious to see what you get from that spotted draft. Sounds like an interesting combination.

I remembered why I liked Quarter horses when I was looking at yours. Being vertically challenged at 5" 7" I never had any issues throwing a saddle or a blanket on a quarter horse. Ours on the other hand makes it a workout throwing a saddle or a blanket on. All I can say is thank god english saddles are a lot lighter.... :laugh:

Quick pic of my better half about 12 years ago with one of our stallions. Had him until five years ago, when we had to put him down. No more stallions for us, way too much trouble. Life is too short.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:51 pm »
Start with 2 Langstroth hives, Use 2 deeps for the brood, and mediums for the supers. If you stay with the hobby, you can choose your favorite and move to those hives over time. If you decide to leave the hobby, those will be the easiest to find a buyer for and bring the best price.

If you start with 1 hive, it will die out and you will lose heart. With 2, you can use one to support the other and keep them both alive.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »
wow! Really pretty!   I mean the horse!... not that....  never mind...   :-[

I agree, life is too short. I have had two in the past that i could handle, but it took a lot of working them.. I much prefer my hand raised mare.. i can go for two or three years without touching her, then hop on and go trail riding..

Two hives also let you instantly SEE if one is weaker than the other, Two lets you compare.

*Sponsor*

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 01:25:56 am »
don't worry too much about the race of the bees. Few suppliers can claim to sell pure races anyway.  The best bees for you are those that have thrived in your area for many generations.  The most important characteristic you should be looking for is temperament.  Calm and gentle bees are a joy to work with.  Hot ones will have you dreading inspection.   If a supplier tells you that their bees are a bit hot, but worth it because they are very productive, look somewhere else.   
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Rob

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:09 pm »
Start with 2 Langstroth hives, Use 2 deeps for the brood, and mediums for the supers. If you stay with the hobby, you can choose your favorite and move to those hives over time. If you decide to leave the hobby, those will be the easiest to find a buyer for and bring the best price.

If you start with 1 hive, it will die out and you will lose heart. With 2, you can use one to support the other and keep them both alive.
Thanks Iddee, it's a good thing you mentioned that cause I was thinking of going with the D.E. Hive which is manufactured a few hours from where I am located but you make a very good point. If I decide that it's not for me then it's probably much easier to get rid of a standard hive. I was actually thinking of starting with four. Do you think that is too much for a beginner. Cheers

wow! Really pretty!   I mean the horse!... not that....  never mind...   :-[

I agree, life is too short. I have had two in the past that i could handle, but it took a lot of working them.. I much prefer my hand raised mare.. i can go for two or three years without touching her, then hop on and go trail riding..

Two hives also let you instantly SEE if one is weaker than the other, Two lets you compare.
Hey Scott, if you can let her pasture for a few years and then just get on and go, that is definitely a keeper. The stallions we had were both gentle giants and lived into their late twenties. The better half collected both those stallions by herself and use to ship semen all over the US and Canada. These days the availability of frozen semen from any of the best stallions in Germany is only a phone call away so ya, life is too short to handle the big guys and I have enough work with two mares and several other horses on the go.

I was thinking of starting with four hives as I mentioned above to Iddee but do think that would be too much for a beginner to handle? Cheers

don't worry too much about the race of the bees. Few suppliers can claim to sell pure races anyway.  The best bees for you are those that have thrived in your area for many generations.  The most important characteristic you should be looking for is temperament.  Calm and gentle bees are a joy to work with.  Hot ones will have you dreading inspection.   If a supplier tells you that their bees are a bit hot, but worth it because they are very productive, look somewhere else.   
Hey Pistolpete, I tend to agree with you on that one. I am looking for an enjoyable hobby that will take me into retirement a few years down the road at which point I will have more time and will likely add several more hives. Gentle bees will definitely be my goal. Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »
OK, I'll rephrase that.

Start with 2 to 5 hives.

1 is risking too much.

6 will overload a newbee.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »
What Iddee said!

In getting started thats pretty much what I say. Buy two! Three hives would be better, and I do not recommend more than four the first year, as it can get overwhelming while you try to figure everything out.

http://outyard.weebly.com/getting-started.html

*Sponsor*

Offline Curtchann

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 12:11:44 pm »
Welcome Rob, lots of great beeks here and ton's of information and help!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »
as has been said, start with no less than two hives, and i am with scott, no more than four.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 01:52:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Rob.  It looks like you're starting off getting right down to business.  I took note of one statement you posted,
"...will be contacting local beeks to see what works for them and go from there." 
Brilliant!  Local beeks will be an invaluable resource for practical, hands-on information.  Here on the forum you can get all sorts of answers---sometimes totally in disagreement with one another---yet they can all be correct, each one depending on the locale involved. 
We'll enjoy exchanging information with you, but as good as our advice may be, your neighbors' will probably be best.  If you can get one of them to invite you to watch him/her working the hives, it should help speed up your progress.
But rest assured, we're with you all the way.   :)

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 05:22:51 am »
Welcome Rob. This is absolutely the friendliest and most knowlegeable  beekeeping forum you'll ever find. Lots of good folks and info here. Best of luck with your farm and bees.
Wayne

Offline Rob

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 06:29:50 pm »
OK, I'll rephrase that.

Start with 2 to 5 hives.

1 is risking too much.

6 will overload a newbee.

What Iddee said!

In getting started thats pretty much what I say. Buy two! Three hives would be better, and I do not recommend more than four the first year, as it can get overwhelming while you try to figure everything out.

http://outyard.weebly.com/getting-started.html

Thanks Iddee and Scott, I think that four will be the number for me to start with. I will start the building process and go with standard Langs as Iddee suggested. Off to the workshop we go. Cheers

Offline Rob

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:16 pm »
Welcome Rob, lots of great beeks here and ton's of information and help!
Thanks Curtchann, absolutely right, lot's of information available and a great group of people willing to help. Cheers