Author Topic: Blueblood's Successful attempt at an Observation Hive Using a Nuc  (Read 9579 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Iv'e wanted to build an observation hive for some time now.  I was asked to speak at Church Camp this week relating the bees/honey to the Bible and Fruit of the Spirit.  So, I went to work on building one the last two days.  I used this keep's idea http://bees.libhart.com/?p=172 but built mine with a deep nuc.  I used a nuc I built out of 1x material previously.  Measured as I went and eyeballed the sketches and photos on that site.  Turned out pretty swell I must say!  Instead of using the feeder frame, I will be using a frame of candy.  I took the orange nuc to the yard to place the bees I captured three weeks ago on the loading dock.  Those bees are fabulous and queen more so.  I have included photo of a frame with her on it.  Look at the tight pattern!  All five frames, which were fresh Rite Cell foundations, were drawn in three weeks and look like the photo below!!  I will have to put them in a full size hive when I return Thursday.

So, if you decided to build one of these and want me to help with dimensions, I will be more than glad to jot them down.  Remember, my dimensions will only bee good for nucs built from 1x (3/4") material.  The most expensive item was clear acrylic (two .9"x18"x24) at $10.28/sheet, cutting tool for $3.27, 4 wing nuts $2.36, 4 thumb screws $4.72, threaded rod $1.76, 4 threaded sleeves (insert nut) $2.97 and I needed some 1x material 1x10-6 at $7.98.  It cost me under $50 to build the top for the nuc.  Retail observation hives are $150+!  I may still try to find some knurled nuts for the top versus the wing nuts.

Offline Garden Hive

Re: Blueblood's Successful attempt at an Observation Hive Using a Nuc
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:03 pm »
Hey Blue looks good. Very similar to the one I purchased from Brushy. I happened upon one in the Sale Shed when I was there, very much discounted and only had a dent in one of the vents on top. That's what I would say you likely need, vents on the top or upper sides. Not speaking from experience. But have seen other reports that the plexi fogs up. This one has 3, 1" holes with #8 h/c over the inside. Vent inserts from the top for looks and function.

The purchased one also has covers for the plexi to keep them in the dark until viewing. Tim

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:17:10 pm »
Always impressed by what you build Dave. :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: blueblood

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:51 pm »
Thanks Perry!  It wasn't too bad.  I just had to think, re-think and think again with everything and take my time, ha!

Thanks Tim!  I installed vents on the bottom of the nuc like the original builder and placed pegs on the bottom of the nuc to allow air to flow under to the vents. I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with the top vents.  I am not completely sold on the numerous holes the builder in the link I provided drilled on each top side.  I thought about drilling some larger holes and covering with hardware cloth.  But, I need to keep them small enough to avoid small children sticking their finger against the cloth and getting stung.  Do you have a photo of your observation hive showing the vents by chance?

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »
Here is a link to their site. click on the additional images to see the vent inserts on the top. The bottom is screened. Tim

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Ulster-Observation-Hive/productinfo/U501/

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:01 pm »
Thanks Tim! I will place my vents up there, screen under them and find something like the vented cap like they have.  I planned on placing a fabric over the window until ready but could probably make something to fasten up there.  I may place a piece of plastic excluder material under the frame to keep the queen up there for presentation.  You know folks are going to ask about her! I found a really nice observation hive looking for vents.  Thought you all would like to see it.  Very sharp!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?285716-My-medium-frame-Ulster-Observation-Hive

Offline Garden Hive

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
I too found plans...... and would very much like to tackle the challange of making my own. However even with aquiring the equipment needed.......My time was even more valuable recently. Thus the purchase when seen discounted. They had many and all went very quick. All the little locks for it are costly. Got to keep the little guys (Me's) out of it at the events. Not saying I was mischievous!  :laugh: Always thought about doing it but respected not too  ;) Tim

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:08:49 am »
Nice!

I built an Ulster Hive many years ago and it has been a huge success when doing presentations.   I don't care how good of speaker you are or how flashy your presentation,  nothing gets the crowd more excited than an observation hive.   I think you have gotten good advice on adding ventilation.   Mine has a fully screened bottom and 4 1" screened holes in the top.   I still worry at times when it is warm.   I also put a drawn frame with water in the bottom.     I might also suggest adding some type of locking mechanism.   You can not be with the hive at all times (bathroom break, etc.) and it only takes a minute for some kid to attempt to open the hive.

I also find using a towel to cover the whole hive works well.  It reduces the distraction while you go through your presentation.   Once visible,  you have lost everyone's attention.

Hope you get as much use out of yours as I have gotten out of mine.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »
That's a beautiful lesson in making the most for the "least".  It looks like a very impressive, sturdy construction that can be easily activated or deactivated--and that is often a big problem when it comes to using observation hives.

It would have been interesting to hear your talk.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »
Thanks Robo! I think it will be a great prop too! Good idea to cover it until ready to keep attention.  Affixed piece of excluder to ensure an appearance of her majesty.  I am going to put a frame of honey in there for them.  How did you manage water in there?

Thanks Ef!  You think customs will let me bring them over to show ya in person, ha!

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 03:40:58 pm »
How did you manage water in there?

I put an empty comb in the bottom than I have poured water into.    I use a honey super cell frame,  but a wax drawn frame will work just as well.

One other point that I can't tell from your pictures,  do you have anything securing the bottom of the frame from swinging back and forth when you move the hive?   If not you might want to come up with something, otherwise you will crush bees during moves.  Nothing creates more of a distraction and questions than dead bees in the window :-)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »
Ah, makes sense.  Cells can hold a good amount of water and won't fall out at 7% angle.  Good point about the swinging frame. I will fit something up at bottom to keep it from moving. The queen will be in there and most assuredly in the tight spots the frame would crush.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 02:11:30 pm »
Heading down to the camp now.  The buzz roar is awesome coming through the top vents!

The following users thanked this post: Bee Shrink

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »
You are going to be a big hit!    I hope your prepared to be invited back as a regular visitor ;D

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
Thanks Robo! I am going to have to discipline myself to put them back in the yard.  I went to my workshop several times last night and today to watch them.  It's addicting!!  I have a seen a couple workers emerge.  The excluder didn't quite fit.  But, I am glad I took it off.  It seems like it would be too much stress on her being up on that one frame exposed.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »
Actually, my experience has been that it doesn't phase the queen one bit.  She continues to go about her business and folks really get a kick out of watching her lay an egg.    I would give the queen excluder another shot.   You will be surprised how the queen steals the show.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 09:48:01 pm »
blue..........that is just plain COOL!!! :yes:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 12:27:50 am »
When you get back, I'd love to have a copy of your notes from the presentation if you would care to share them.  Even better, a recording of the presentation?
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 09:22:06 am »
Enjoyed hearing your account Dave!  Also gleaned some good points from the conversation, thanks all.  :-)
Lee_Burough