Author Topic: Price of Beef  (Read 14511 times)

Offline Dunkel

Price of Beef
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »
I just received the check from Monday's sale.  The price of beef is going up.  I sold six calves that were out of wack from the rest of the herd.  They averaged 1000 bucks a head.  That was 2 dollars walking around weight. They were also calves that got through the winter on only hay.

By the time they get up to slaughter weight, I would hate to know the asking price in the stores and restaurants.  Stock up now on any sale because its not going to get any better.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Price of Beef
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:02 pm »
That's good news for a couple buddies of mine at work.  The tried their hands at raising a couple for slaughter.  They have a few more months to go.  They would swear it's not worth it so far because of the the several times after work they have to tend to them. 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
Thankfully I live in beef country. I always get calls asking if I want half a cow..  just filled the freezer about a week ago. The hog confinements nearby are always culling pigs if they get a cherry or other injury and I am on the call list. Often I can put them in a pen and finish them before butchering, if not they go straight to the local locker.  Being a meat and potatoes guy is a lot easier living in this area.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »
hey dunkel,
we purchase our beef(steer) direct from a local farmer, (black angus)  every year for the last 15 years, organically fed, etc.  nothing better. haven't purchased any beef in a store since then.  the only time we do is when we are traveling or putting some beef in someone's freezer to help them out.
when i do look at prices and now i see the prices on packages marked black angus......YIKES!!!!
we know where our beef comes from, and like to support the farmer, oh yeah the butcher too.... they both take care of us and the farmer buys my honey and the butcher offers to sell my honey in his shop.
the price is fair although fluctuates from year to year(better than store prices), and the beef is absolutely the best. wouldn't have it any other way.   
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
Neighbor took an old cow in the second stage to the sale barn and got over $2,000.00 for her. He didn't want to fool with her through the winter or take a chance of losing her and the calf during calving. Looks like someone wasn't afraid. ??? Jack

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:58 pm »
It was a year ago when I read that, in the USA, the cattle population was the same as in the year 1956.  The drought has taken a toll on profitability for the beef producers.  There have been wholesale cattle sell offs  for the past few years as drought has hopscotched around the country.  Prices are going up and up.  :-/
Lee_Burough

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:05:48 am »
Yep, and the population has grown since 1956, that was the year i graduated from High School and joined the armed service. Things have sure changed since then. :o Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:53:30 am »
we just ordered from our farmer.....2.40 a pound this year. (black angus)  what's the going rate elsewhere?

i'm happy, will always buy from this local farmer.
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:41 am »
$2.40 a lb. sounds a little high, but when you put a pencil to it ( farm maintenance, taxes, cost of grain, labor) at today's cost to maintain a herd, it's probably about right if the farmer is going to make a profit. The main thing is you know where it came from and what your eating. With the population growth (here and world wide) the decline of the family farms, the time of cheap food in the U S of A is going to be a thing of the past. Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:15 am »
thanks jack, and i would agree with your comments, costs, profit, etc, and knowing where it came from.  was curious what others were charging.
Forum Sponsor

Offline tmrschessie

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 01:17:58 pm »
My wife and I like venison as much as beef.  This is how we beat the high prices. Tom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

I wish my wife would eat venison.. strange lady.. LOVES to hunt, has her own rifles/shotgun but wont eat them..
   I guess the same goes for fishing.. she loves catching cats with me on the river but wont eat those either..
   Local farmer had a couple cows butchered about a month ago, we bought a half a cow, weighed around 800 hanging weight cost us just under a grand, so would guess just over $2 a lb..   Got our pig from the butcher shop last week..   290 lbs cost just under 300 dollars.. Witht he cost of feeding it probably around $2 a pound.   No complaints and were set till spring with the garden yet to harvest/can etc.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »
$2.40 a pound for processed beef is cheap, need to make a trip to the grocery store meat counter and look around. Stock yard is paying $2.00 a pound for just about anything.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:35 pm »
I don't like feeding out steers to sale to individuals, i have a bee club member and in-laws that i have been selling to. The in-laws we split ours with them (a half beef is all my wife and i can use in a year or two), i give my son and daughter a half beef for Christmas for there families. So feeding one more isn't a big deal, but what i sell the grain fed ones for i could get the same at the sale barn without grain feeding them, ( i know my fault :-[) oh well ??? The only beef we buy is corn beef (i love corn beef and cabbage) and i shudder at the price of beef in the case :o, I'm not sure you can buy a pound of hamburger for $2.00 these days? Jack

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 09:52:45 pm »
Year before last we bought two cows from another beekeeper for $1.15/lb on the hoof.  Average weight was 1000 lbs.  Spent around $400 at the butcher.  We had to buy another freezer.  But it was worth it.  I don't know if we'll need more beef this fall, or maybe next year for sure.  I talked to him a couple of months ago.  I think he's up to $1.50/lb now.  It is excellent beef, though.  Beekeeping associations are good for more than bees!  Get to know your fellow keeps and fellow neighbors.  It's good for you!   :eusa_clap:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:43 pm »
You can say that again Slow, just had a club member redue two bathrooms, replace the shower, two taller stools, one sink, and tiled booth bathrooms. Took his time and done a great job, if there is a flaw in his work i've not found it. Him and his wife have made several trips with me to help and learn with bees, they got into bees two tears ago, great family, they have two young boys. Had another club member come and give an estimate on replacing our windows (40 years old), we have casement windows and are going to double hung. He is going to give us two estimates, one with full screens or half screens, inserts inside the windows or without, i leave that up to the wife, i'm just glad i don't have to do it again. I hired a Firefighter (that i worked with) that done construction work and we built my house from the ground up. Don't think i'd be up to it now a day. ;D Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:00 am »
"$2.40 a pound for processed beef is cheap, need to make a trip to the grocery store meat counter and look around"

thanks g!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Beeboy

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:04 am »
My neighbor just offered me a half beef for $4 a pound. I passed.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 10:45:13 am »
If  that was processed it might not be to far off? Jack

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 10:51:40 am »
depends beeboy, is that packaged? or is the packaging extra? we pay the farmer the 2.40, then pay the butcher to package, not sure what it is this year, and can't remember what it was last year.
Forum Sponsor