Author Topic: 1st day extracting for 2017!  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
1st day extracting for 2017!
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:24:55 pm »
Every thing hooked up, knife on the uncapper freshly sharpened and awaaaaaaaaay we go! :eusa_dance:
Everything went without (almost) any hitches. It was 93 F inside the honey house so the honey was slinging out big time, and the fact that most of my honey supers are now 9 frame the frames were thick and easy to uncap. The tank that my uncapper sits on is full of heavy wet cappings, draining for now and then once gravity does it's thing I'll throw the rest in the wax spinner.  Even though the tank is water jacketed I haven't bothered to turn on the heat. I have it draining into the sump.

The only "event" that happened was halfway through the day I heard a loud "snap" and looked over to see that the hose clamp holding the pipe onto the discharge end of the honey pump had snapped and honey started to pour out onto the floor. I lost about a gallon but not much more. I cleaned it up with a dustpan and will feed it back to the bees. It could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been there watching! :o

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: 1st day extracting for 2017!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:26:03 pm »
Perry, the last pic, to the right of the machine, the stuff floating on top, is that slum gum?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:23 pm »
Nope, that's just wax and air bubbles and bee parts, etc. It's the stuff that comes right out of the extractor, plus a bit of stuff from the uncapping tank. Mostly it's wax floating on top of the honey.
Slum gum is the really dark stuff that's left after you strip all the honey out and melt the wax.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:51:17 pm »
Congratulations!

We had our first harvest, too.

With three hives, we managed to get two full medium ....

Frames.

Sigh.  :sad:
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:52:43 pm »
Perry, how is your burn healing?
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:42:42 am »
Looking good. Do you have a screen in the bottom of the uncapping tank/ wax melter to aid in the draining of the cappings?
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 03:09:51 am »
Nice... what flavor of honey is it ?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 06:46:00 am »
Looking good. Do you have a screen in the bottom of the uncapping tank/ wax melter to aid in the draining of the cappings?

No I don't, and I wish I did   :eusa_wall:, it would greatly add to the efficiency of it for sure. If I find some stainless screen I may cobble something up. There is a lot of honey stuck in that tank that can't make it's way to the drain into the sump.

I had the supers on at the start of dandelion, so I'm not sure what the main source of nectar is.
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:54 pm »
Perry stop by an appliance repair or recycling place and see what they have for stainless steel drums from a washer or dryer. Cut the top and bottom off with a fiber disk or nibbler or center cut shears and straighten it out. the drums never wear out it is always some other part that causes the appliance to be replaced. Should be able to get one for a couple of jars of honey.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 06:04:13 pm »
Perry, how is your burn healing?

Really well thanks. :)
All the burnt skin has sloughed off, being left behind by the brightest pink flesh. When the sun hits it it feels like it's on fire again, but I should be back to "normal" soon. Still not wearing a watch, and the elastic wrist bands on my bee suit didn't exactly help the healing process, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:14 pm »
like apis said check scrap yards & metal supply houses. I have a shop here that sells perforated stainless in sheets.
https://www.shapirosupply.com/22-ga-perforated-stainless-steel-sheet-1-8-holes-3-16-stagger-24-x-36.html

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:51 pm »
like apis said check scrap yards & metal supply houses. I have a shop here that sells perforated stainless in sheets.
https://www.shapirosupply.com/22-ga-perforated-stainless-steel-sheet-1-8-holes-3-16-stagger-24-x-36.html

Oooh, that would be the ticket alright, but I'm betting it would cost a lot more than that up here.
Forum Supporter

Offline litefoot

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:18:06 pm »
Extracting? Is that part of the deal when you keep bees? I had a tooth extracted last year. :D It's been a few years since I've had a good harvest. Probably won't this year. Guess I'll just keep learning and if I can keep them happy and healthy, maybe next year...

But congrats to you Perry. Glad to see you enjoying the fruits of your love and labor.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:47 am »
Perry I love your pictures.  I keep following and watching you figure out what works and doesn't. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 09:59:24 am »
Perry I love your pictures.  I keep following and watching you figure out what works and doesn't.

Thanks, and I'll be there first to tell you what does and doesn't. ;D

In an effort to speed things up with the uncapping tank I stopped at my metal shop in New Minas and they will quickly put together a rack with stainless steel screening to lay into the tank. I also have them making a couple of lids for either side of the uncapper so I can cover the cappings tank at the end of each day instead of using plywood cut outs.
Forum Supporter

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:41 am »
A quick update. I swung by the metal shop and got the owner to jig me up something S/S, but cheap. While I was there I also got him to fabricate a couple of S/S lids for the exposed part of the uncapping tank on either side of the jiggle knife so stuff stays covered.

Forum Supporter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:34 am »
Perry that is fantastic.  I finally got logged back in.  I had to stop extracting this week because a lovejoy coupler set screw backed off between the motor and reel.  ate the rubber up before I knew it.  Somehow it was stripped oout.  I needed a replacement and I checked with Dadant first.  It's only two years old, they sent me another complete coupler free of any charge priority shipped . That impressed me.  I finished what I had pulled with my little six frame ranger.  It made me appreciate the 20 frame again :D

Boy you have things looking sharp, what is your next upgrade?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 12:13:57 pm »
I think my next "project" will be to get the honey house trailer skirted. I went through last winter with no skirting and I better get it done before snow. I don't honestly know what else I need to do to the honey house, it's all in place. I have the automatic bottler I could hook up, but I really don't mind bottling jars manually. I get to turn my brain off, sort of like when I build frames during the winter.
As far as beekeeping gear about the only thing I really would like to get is the Provap 110 oxalic acid vapourizer to speed things up.
Forum Supporter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 02:07:36 pm »
I ended up splurging on the provap.  Back in the summer an offer to refund my money on my varrox applied to the provap pushed me into it.  I still have one just incase.  I'll give you a report of when I finally get to use in this coming week. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
I ended up splurging on the provap.  Back in the summer an offer to refund my money on my varrox applied to the provap pushed me into it.  I still have one just incase.  I'll give you a report of when I finally get to use in this coming week.
I eagerly await your opinion. :yes:
Forum Supporter