Author Topic: Bee presents  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Bee presents
« on: December 25, 2014, 07:52:44 am »
Buying for me around Christmas is a pretty easy thing to do I'm thinking. Anything bee related and you can't go wrong. ;D
I got a book, "Bee Time" written by Mark Winston! I've seen Mark, we used to live just below the Simon Fraser University where his lab was. I don't know that Canada has ever produced anyone even close to him in regards to his contributions to the bee world.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Bee presents
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »
I like to hear about bee knowledge from the lab, I'll check into that book, Thanks!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 02:14:11 pm »
The gifts I gave my bees today were anti-varroa sticks-----tongue depressor impregnated with Amitraz.  The bee advisors' instructions were to make a coordinated mid-winter, country-wide punch in the belly against the mites.
So for all my talk about trying out chopped Oxalis, I decided to be lazy and use the prepared "remedy" I bought in the summer.
A nice holiday gift from the bees to us would be a total shaking-off of the varroas in the hives.
Wishful thinking.  :D

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:28:11 am »
" "Bee Time" written by Mark Winston! I've seen Mark, we used to live just below the Simon Fraser University where his lab was. I don't know that Canada has ever produced anyone even close to him in regards to his contributions to the bee world."

haven't read that yet.  anything winston writes is a worthy read. and ditto what you said about his contributions!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 11:36:46 am »
Thanks for the report Perry, will keep an eye out for that author.  :)

Ef, I'd like to hear more about that plan for your area and about that amitraz treatment -could you start a thread and open the subject up for discussion?  Any pictures?  A tongue depressor application sounds pretty simple.......  TiA  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 12:23:52 pm »
Apivar is based on the active ingredient Amitraz.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 03:23:11 pm »
Apivar is based on the active ingredient Amitraz.
I figured something like that Perry, i'm just interested in practices around the world for killing the mites (and not the bees ;) ). 

It sounds as if this insecticide is available to Ef in liquid form.  Can Ef buy this liquid, apply it to a strip of wood and treat by placing it in the hive.....? (Sounds like an effective govt program where beekeepers are involved in the solution to the mite curse). Much simpler than buying an expensive product that does the same thing, eh?  An effective govt program would use another insecticide next year....

I've seen formic acid dispensers in the hives of Europe -but there is no telling whether its in common use today.  Another situation where formic acid is available to pour into these dispensers for mite control.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:08:06 pm »
Amitraz is available for purchase in Israel in its liquid form and can be used in varying methods.  The method I  most frequently  use is by placing two drops of amitraz on a 2X10 cm  (1 X 5 inch) strip of filter paper that has been treated with a chemical that slows down the burning of the paper (I can't at the moment remember what the chemical is).  The two drops are left out in the air to dry  for a while and then the paper is folded lengthwise so that it can be inserted into the hive standing on its two bottom edges.  One end of the folded paper is lit with a match, the paper is placed in the entrance (lit edge inside) and then, with a flick of the finger the burning paper is "shot" into the hive.  as the paper slowly burns (it doessn't flame up but rather burns slowly like a lit cigarette).  Since the paper is standing on its edges, there is minimal contact with the floor and no risk of fire in the hive.  The Amitraz is vaporized inside the hive and treats the varroa.  This treatment is repeated weekly for a regimen of three times.   It's fast and easy and pretty effective.
The "tongue depressors" that I used were bought as a commercial preparation that has been soaked on a solution of (I believe 50%) Amitraz and dried.  A hole in one side of the stick, through which you place a toothpick or similar item (twig, nail, paper clip, etc)  makes for easy hanging in the hive between two frames.  Two sticks are hung between frames of the brood nest and left there for up to 6 weeks. 
In the early days of Varroa here, we would prepare the soaked sticks ourselves, but lately, for the sake of standardization, the request has been that we use the commercially prepared sticks  Of course, someone makes a profit on their sale, but their price is reasonable and the ease and safety (for the beekeeper) of their use does have an advantage.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
Thank you Ef, that is very interesting.  :)

I don't want to sound like an anarchist, but our govt is so involved in these matters that we end up paying huge prices for what should be cheap treatments -the development, testing and proving required for our miticides pays three or four middlemen very well, making a beekeeper's cost artificially high.  Nevertheless, both methods you describe are interesting for sure.  Elegantly simple treatments.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:15 pm »
amitraz............

some of us beeks in the past have used veterinarian supplies containing amatraz to treat other animals for other purposes,  from wherever (local fleet farm) unapproved for use of mite treatments for honey bees, and like rat brought up on a thread he started on a soaked beer coaster in the hive.  approved or not, the chemical works/did work.

"Apivar is based on the active ingredient Amitraz."

yes perry you are correct, and only 3 treatments, if that were needed to take care of mites.  i have used apivar in the long past, it was effective, but didn't like some or all of the potential 'side effects'; very strong odor that stays in the hive and i am sure is/was a residue in the combs of the hive; running the bees out of the hive, queen problems etc. 

lee, i am not consumed with how involved the government is, i just care about my bees.  it's just the way things work, and we aren't going to change it..... ;)

the best bee present?  the 'silver bullet' for mites.  i think we could all agree on this? wish it was out there.  the challenge is to 'find' it or find the answer, and chemical free in our hives before varroa?

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor