Author Topic: grafting  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Blair Sampson

grafting
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:36:22 pm »
Tried grafting for the first time last season. Mildly successful...... 4 of 15 graft produced queens. Last year's process included using a finisher hive. Trying 15 grafts again this year. Is a finisher hive recommended or can cells remain in cell builder until capped? ( read somewhere that a finisher hive is used so the cell builder can accomadate large volume of grafts).

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: grafting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:58:57 pm »
Personal opinion....
I would cage the cells on day nine, or as soon as capped, then leave them in the starter until day 14 or 15.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Blair Sampson

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:50:26 pm »
why cage the cell... tell me more.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:58:26 pm »
They will draw wild comb between the cells and cover them with wax. You will have to carve the cells out of burr comb between capping and emerging.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein