Author Topic: When to start feeding sugar water in the spring?  (Read 15720 times)

Offline Salmo

When to start feeding sugar water in the spring?
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:49:37 pm »
Good evening everyone,

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first year keeping bees, located in Nova Scotia.  We've had a fairly mild winter and on warm days, have seen bees outside the hive, so optimistic they will survive until spring.

My question, when should I start feeding them sugar water?  This far north, do you typically wait and make a judgement call based on avoid freezing temperatures ?

Any advise, rules of thumb and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Randall

Offline Rugerbob

Re: When to start feeding sugar water in the spring?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:25:41 am »
Middle of March to latter part of April, all depends on average temp.

I feed sugar cakes until temp are averaging 10C.

Bob 
The following users thanked this post: Kathi

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 11:24:43 am »
Go by hive weight lift the back of the hive and if very light then feed. syrup if it is warm enough, fondant blocks of frames of honey if it is still to cool for syrup consumption.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Kathi

Offline beekeeper7777

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 04:22:38 pm »
Good evening everyone,

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first year keeping bees, located in Nova Scotia.  We've had a fairly mild winter and on warm days, have seen bees outside the hive, so optimistic they will survive until spring.

My question, when should I start feeding them sugar water?  This far north, do you typically wait and make a judgement call based on avoid freezing temperatures ?

Any advise, rules of thumb and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Randall

It's great to hear that your bees have made it through the winter so far, and I'm glad to help with your question about feeding sugar water.

In general, it's a good idea to start feeding sugar water to your bees as soon as possible in the spring, especially if they are low on stores and need an extra boost to get through the winter. Bees are more active and need more energy when the weather starts to warm up, so providing them with a source of food can help them build up their strength and prepare for the busy season ahead.

That being said, it's important to keep an eye on the weather and avoid feeding sugar water if the temperature is likely to drop below freezing. Sugar water can freeze and become difficult for the bees to consume, so it's best to wait until the weather is consistently above freezing before starting to feed.

There are a few different ways you can feed sugar water to your bees, depending on your preference and the needs of your hive. One option is to use a feeder that allows the bees to access the sugar water directly, such as a frame feeder or a Mason jar feeder. Another option is to use an in-hive feeder, such as a top feeder or a division board feeder, which allows the bees to feed from the sugar water without leaving the hive.

Regardless of which method you choose, it's important to monitor the bees and the feeder closely to make sure that the bees are able to access the sugar water and that the feeder is not running out of food. You may need to refill the feeder or switch to a different method if the bees are not able to consume the sugar water as quickly as you are providing it.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 04:15:36 am »
Welcome to the forums beekeeper7777.  Feel free to drop over to the welcome sun and tell us a bit about yourself!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 12:18:32 pm »
Welcome beekeeper7777!  Glad you joined us.  I hope that you can share more about your beekeeping experiences in France.