Author Topic: Manlake 8/4 Frame Extractor Your Thoughts? Time to Upgrade!  (Read 17439 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Hi friends!  I am finally in the market for a better and faster extractor.  I have been hand cranking with a 3 framer for five years with 20+ hives.  I know, crazy huh?  My shoulder just can't take another year of cranking hundreds of pounds of honey anymore.  I don't plan on going bigger than 25-30 hives for a while so I think the 8/4 frame I am looking at is gonna do the trick.  I am posting this to drum up some conversation to make sure I can make the best decision possible.  I am attracted to Manlake for many reasons but the best one is the free shipping.  I am not gonna pay $70+ for shipping.  Anyone use this particular model and do you like it? 
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/motorized-8-4-frame-extractor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Manlake 8/4 Frame Extractor Your Thoughts? Time to Upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »
With that many hives, you might enjoy a radial extractor, just saying.  Lyson extractors (betterbee) were my choice, but since they were out of stock at the time, I bought the 18/9 frame radial from ML (happy with it -well worth the additional $200). They can almost spin a frame dry.  You are going to pay the shipping whether it is stated upfront, or hidden in a higher price.  JMO   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:57:01 pm »
Only advise I would give is make sure all frames point to the center (radial) so you don't have to turn the deeps and get it motorized. You can't buy one too big.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:24:46 pm »
Only advise I would give is make sure all frames point to the center (radial) so you don't have to turn the deeps and get it motorized. You can't buy one too big.
Just make sure it will fit through the door   :yes: :laugh:
Lee_Burough

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »
On sale right now! Go bigger than the 8/4!

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/extraction-bottling/honey-extraction/extracting-equipment/18-9-frame-motorized-extractor

Ha! Now Perry, this is a slippery slope.  I started with the 3 frame and then the 8/4 and now your enticing me to go bigger.  I have had that one in my basket twice now.  :laugh:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 05:59:27 pm »

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/shop-all-categories/extraction-bottling/honey-extraction/extracting-equipment/18-9-frame-motorized-extractor

Ha! Now Perry, this is a slippery slope.  I started with the 3 frame and then the 8/4 and now your enticing me to go bigger.  I have had that one in my basket twice now.  :laugh:

Dave, you won't regret going the bigger route. :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 06:10:10 pm »

Ah, good point! So, it needs to look like a pie with many slices when i look down from top.  I had not have that in mind.  Thanks!  It's a pain in the booty to turn them.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:11:06 pm »

Dave, you won't regret going the bigger route. :yes:

Your right....

Offline rcannon

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »
Amen. Get the biggest one you can afford. You'll be glad you did.
The following users thanked this post: blueblood

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:08:47 am »
As CBT pointed out if you extract both deeps and dadants the deeps will require the stopping of the extractor to turn the frames a couple of times. If you use dadants for your honey supers then the 4/8 and 3/6 will extract them radially. as Perry pointed out the ( 9/18 is about the smallest extractor that will hold deep frames radially.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »
So, I haven't bought a new extractor yet.  Mostly, because the honey season has been retarded by large amounts of spring and early summer rains.  And so, I have not had the need for a larger scale extractor.  But, I will be conducting my second and largest harvest in about 3 weeks.

Radial is essential.  In accordance to my budget, two extractors have surfaced.  Manlake's 19/8 for $1195 (free shipping and comes with legs) and Maxant's 3100P 6/9 (legs ($49 and shipping [estimated $75] not included) for $925.

The Maxant is clearly a better quality (ie. 20 versus 26 gauge stainless steel).  But............? 

Motorized turning of 6 radially is much better than hand cranking 3 tangentially like I am doing now.  And, I do not plan on increasing my hives more than 25 anytime very soon.  Only 60% roughly of those 25 produce heavily anyway taking into consideration slower hives and hives that swarmed late.

I would like to make a decision soon for a couple reason.  Maxant takes up to 3 weeks to ship and Manlake is currently back ordered on the 19/8.

Thanks for your wisdom in advance.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/18-9-frame-motorized-extractor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 07:15:46 am »
Maxant is the superior quality, but the Mann Lake 18/9 is a model many folks have bought and I've not heard anything negative. Bigger is better in this regards.
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:00:31 am »
Thanks Perry.  I believe your a Maxant guy too!  So, for you to suggest the Manlake option, it's can't be too bad.  :)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 09:29:31 am »
I just bought a bunch of maxant equipment and will have to say the fit, welds and finish are of good quality, the finish could be a tad better but not complaining.
I did order a clarifier from dadant and was sorely disappointed in the fit, welds and finish, plus the guarantee was a little cheesy too. Will never order anything from dadant again. 
I would not order anything from kelley because their stuff is not TIG welded, and you will commonly see stuff for sale that has the flanges broken off or leaking.
Does manlake make their own stuff or are they just putting a sticker on and reselling it?
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:34:13 pm »
FWIW = my opinion!

Quality:
#1 - Maxant
#2 - Dadant
#3 - Mann Lake

Another thing one has to take into account is price, but even more so is appropriateness/fit for each individual operation. I love Maxant, but they discontinued the 20 frame extractor and have gone to the 10/20, so the Dadant 20 is a much better fit for my operation. Same thing with the clarifier/sump, I wanted a 3 footer with at least 2 baffles and Maxant didn't make them that way (maybe they do now?).
I have a Maxant bottler (top notch) and a Kelly vibrating jiggle knife, so I guess I spread the wealth around? lol
Of course I also was looking for quite a while and managed to snag what I wanted when it became available (used) so price didn't affect the decision.
If what I wanted was available from any of the 3 above I would be OK with it.
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 02:36:32 pm »
...Does manlake make their own stuff or are they just putting a sticker on and reselling it?
My ML 9/18 extractor was made in Italy.  If you look at the specs for the Lyson radial extractors from betterbee, you will find they are very competitive in performance and price.  The thing I liked about the Lyson radials is the position of the motor...the motor is out of the way of your frames while loading and unloading.  JMO

Added:  Corrected spelling of Lyson...Thanks CBT  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 03:39:40 pm »
If you get one with a non us motor you can't get parts for it anyway. The maxant 20 looks like you could put a replacement motor on it off the shelf. Once you go up in size you'll be happy with it.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 05:17:17 pm »
Confused yet Dave?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I have to agree with American made, parts availability could be an issue.
Forum Supporter

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 03:28:43 pm »
I just bought a bunch of maxant equipment and will have to say the fit, welds and finish are of good quality, the finish could be a tad better but not complaining.
I did order a clarifier from dadant and was sorely disappointed in the fit, welds and finish, plus the guarantee was a little cheesy too. Will never order anything from dadant again. 
I would not order anything from kelley because their stuff is not TIG welded, and you will commonly see stuff for sale that has the flanges broken off or leaking.
Does manlake make their own stuff or are they just putting a sticker on and reselling it?

Good info.  I read somewhere that Manlake orders the parts and them assembles them for sale.  And, the motor from Italy.