Author Topic: new top for telescoping cover?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline flint1

new top for telescoping cover?
« on: May 05, 2018, 04:41:01 pm »
I haven't heard of anyone doing this, so thought it should be put out here for those of you that make your own equipment.  Last season, I was making a few telescoping covers for some future hives.  Instead of using metal to cover the top, I decided to try some DeckOver.  Deckover, as many of you know, is the very thick "paint," that is used to revitalize wooden decks when they are starting to weather and crack.  It was applied to two different telescoping covers and after one season, it is holding up very well.  There are no signs of chipping or cracking and I am not easy on the telescoping covers.  Just thought it might be an alternative for those of you that do not have access to a brake to bend the metal top.  It is most likely cheaper too, at $35 a gallon at the time of purchase.  Just be sure the wood is solid and not pieced together, or the paint will crack along the seam between the wood pieces.  Just keep in mind, that it was used for only one season and YMMV. 

The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Re: new top for telescoping cover?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »
I like that idea
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline flint1

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:58:08 pm »
I like that idea

If you give this a try, please let us know how it holds up for you.  I will be doing this for a few more tops.  As of now it seems to work for me.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:57:05 pm »
Thank you flint1 for posting.  I am not familiar with this product, but I have some decks that might benefit from it.  It looks like Home Depot still sells it for $35 a gallon.  My concern is whether it's water proof?  You want to keep the moisture out. Is it a clear product?

Offline flint1

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 07:16:55 am »
Thank you flint1 for posting.  I am not familiar with this product, but I have some decks that might benefit from it.  It looks like Home Depot still sells it for $35 a gallon.  My concern is whether it's water proof?  You want to keep the moisture out. Is it a clear product?

I don't have any experience with this product, other than applying it to a telescoping cover.  It is a solid color, very thick and can be mixed to any color desired.  The can states that it is WEATHERPROOF.  I did not see any indication that any water had penetrated  the coating to the wood below.  A friend of mine used it on his deck and was very happy with it.  He did tell me not to apply it when the temps are higher than 80 degrees, because it dries too fast.   He has since moved away.  I do plan on using this product on my own deck, whenever the boss tells me what color to use.  There are mixed reviews on the internet about this product.  I suspect the nay sayers did not do the  proper prep work. 

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 08:44:27 am »
my only concern would be that wood expands & contracts. with a deck you do not have to worry about joints. with a telescopic cover this movement would eventually cause openings in the finish & failures at the joints. if you're using plywood it would then delaminate. just food for thought. i take my metal to a tool rental & use their brake there at their shop for a reduced fee. i bend enough for at least a dozen tops to make it worth the trip. it does help that i also know how to uses a brake.