Author Topic: iddee-beetle question  (Read 2059 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
iddee-beetle question
« on: June 22, 2021, 09:52:50 am »
awhile back the discussion was on how long to freeze frames. i just froze some frames with beetle larva but no slime for 24 hours. is that long enough to kill eggs. i know it's enough to kill larva. i pulled them to make room in the freezer for more frames. if need be i can rotate them back into the freezer but wanted to kill the larva in the 2nd batch before they got too bad.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: iddee-beetle question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 11:15:09 am »
If your freezer is set at 0 F., I think it will work. If it is set at 20 F., it would be questionable. Either way, I would keep an eye on them.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 05:33:25 pm »
saw no signs of larvae in the 2nd batch. 24 hours should be fine for those. i'll put the 1st batch back in the freezer for few days to be safe tomorrow. now comes the fun part. to be sure i'll go thru all the boxes in the stacks. they should be ok but-famous last words. the infested boxes were were in the open as i was getting ready to put them on single deep hives. got distracted & they sat too long. there was 1 beetle in the boxes. that's all it takes. this shed is caulked & weather stripped to the hilt. so much it requires real effort to close the door.  l spray insecticide around the outside of the door edges & threshold on a regular basis. i covered everything that is goes inside a hive & set off 2 aerosol bug bombs. there's a lot of drawn comb in this shed & i do not want to lose it

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 10:48:46 pm »
Amazing how one little critter can mess up a whole seasons work… good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:47:01 am »
In July, Jerry Hayes, editor of Bee Culture magazine, is going to speak to the South Western Ohio Beekeepers Association about Small Hive Beetle.  I believe their meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of the month, 7:30 Eastern Standard Time.  I will try to pass on any information I receive regarding this.