Author Topic: one fancy hive  (Read 14331 times)

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
one fancy hive
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »
Saw this an want to make one, just lacking the skills................

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: one fancy hive
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:57:15 pm »
Does it have removable frames?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:45 pm »
Believe it or not, that is actually illegal up here. It must have removable frames so it can be inspected.  ::)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:21:04 pm »
Believe it or not, that is actually illegal up here. It must have removable frames so it can be inspected.  ::)

What constitutes legality though? Is that a tended hive?  OR.. am I a criminal if bees move into my shed and I dont make removable frames for them? ???   hehe.. actually not trying to be  smart ... but considering setting up a few stumps along our land FOR the feral bees to live in....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 07:19:51 am »
I understand completely what you are saying Lazy.
In reality, there may be little or nothing that can be done to enforce the reg.
To play devils advocate however, If a hive cannot be inspected, other than activity at the entrance, how can you know for certain what is going on inside the colony. If this colony suddenly became ill, say from infection of AFB, how would you know or address it? Once it was dead and completely robbed out?
I witnessed the destruction of a 7 hive apiary this summer when 2 hives in that apiary were found to be dead, infected with AFB, and completely robbed out!
What of the other keepers in the area?
(Me personally? I would love to a bee tree in my yard). Away from any of my other yards though.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:36:33 am »

That would make a cool bird house.  Just a suggestion.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
That is a cool bee tree carving.  I might just have to think about that with my tree, hmmmm.  Perry, all of your feral hives are outlaws then.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:02:24 am »
I think It could easily be made so it could Be inspected, just build a door on the back , and mount some odd shaped frames in it.

Many places in Europe have these beautiful carved wood hives, Poland especially.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:32:34 am »
I think It could easily be made so it could Be inspected, just build a door on the back , and mount some odd shaped frames in it.

Many places in Europe have these beautiful carved wood hives, Poland especially.

Zulu is correct. As long as frames can be removed for inspection, the configuration is not important.
As far as feral colonies being illegal, they are not under anyone's care so......?
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 07:13:28 pm »
There was a fellow keep that lived in the next county over that really loved to mess with the state bee inspector. He had gone to the saw mill and pulled thick slabs off of a log and nailed them back together. this left a square hole in the center and he then fixed up some frames with foundation. Had several shorter sections of the log for supers. State man always fussing and fussing about having to remove those bees from the gum. That is when Joe finally opened it up and pulled out the frames of bees.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:05 pm »
Good point Perry!! Maybe not such a good idea.   :sad:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Edward

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 12:37:51 am »
Saw this an want to make one, just lacking the skills

Well now you don't have an excuse for not building one  ;D

Sharpen your chain and gas up your chainsaw and have at it!

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »
I'm with Bakersdozen---to me it looks more like a birds' next than a hive.  I can  imagine a woodpecker nesting in the bottom hole and another kind using the perch at the upper entrance.