Author Topic: Gummy Bears with Honey  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Gummy Bears with Honey
« on: October 20, 2023, 04:58:52 pm »
Three ingredients is all that is needed for their gummy bears.  They are so easy.  This is the recipe I followed and I used apple juice. https://carolinahoneybees.com/honey-gummy-bear/#recipe 
My gummy bear mold wasn't big enough to accommodate the entire mixture so I also used a square chocolate mold and other mold I had on hand.  They aren't exactly like Haribo gummies, but these are low calorie and so easy.  Next time I will use grape juice or something with more flavor.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Gummy Bears with Honey
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 06:53:41 pm »
Holy cow, that's a cute mold!  So are they chewy enough?  What I mean is, even if they aren't quite like store-bought, are they significantly denser than Jell-O?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 01:17:59 pm »
Yes they are denser than Jello.  It reminds me of Jello Jigglers only denser.  They are kind of rubbery and came out of the molds very easily.  I used Knox Gelatin.  Knox has four pouches in each box.  2 1/2 Tablespoons of gelatin is around 3 1/2 pouches of the Knox. 
My gummies had set up firm when I checked on them at 1 hour in the fridge.  I let them set out at room temperature for about an hour last night just to see if they would get soft and they didn't.
I have some elderberry juice that I canned and I would like to try a batch of gummies with that. 
Knox is made from collagen, so there are those benefits.
15th, I bought that mold several years ago at a hobby/craft store.  I found it along with some other soap molds while cleaning.  I decided it was time to use it.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 04:33:42 pm »
What do you think the result would be if you used the full ounce of gelatin?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 10:54:40 am »
What do you think the result would be if you used the full ounce of gelatin?
I'm not sure.
I am going to try another recipe I found online.  I think this one will have a more interesting taste and it calls for more honey, lemon juice and 3 Tablespoons of Knox gelatin.  I am going to try elderberry or grape juice this time.  Three tablespoons of gelatin will be the whole box.
I don't usually post a recipe unless I am satisfied with it.  Sorry.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 05:42:05 pm »
Amazon just delivered 4 molds with 50 bears each. 200 total gummy bears. Hurry up and test it and post it.      PLEASE
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 12:12:33 pm »
Amazon just delivered 4 molds with 50 bears each. 200 total gummy bears. Hurry up and test it and post it.      PLEASE
OK iddee!  I have a better recipe that I like so much better!  Not the same texture as Haribo gummies, but closer.  I'm not sure if one would ever be able to achieve that.

This recipe has a lot more flavor.  I made juice from elderberries I had stored in the freezer.  Elderberry aids in boosting the immune system.
https://whiteblankspace.com/homemade-gummy-bears/ for the complete recipe.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup fruit juice
juice from 1 lemon
3 Tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup honey

In a saucepan, add juice, lemon juice, and gelatin. Gently mix with a spoon and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
Add honey to the mixture. Turn on the heat and warm up the mixture while gently stirring. Use low heat to ensure that the mixture doesn’t boil. As the mixture warms up, it will turn into liquid. Turn off the heat and scoop up the foam with a spoon.
Fill a gummy bear mold with the mixture. I prefer pouring the liquid into the mold over using a dropper. A dropper creates a lot of bubbles.
Let the gummy bears set for 15 minutes. At this point, it will be easy to move the mold to the fridge without spilling. Let the gummy bears set for 1~2 hours in the refrigerator.
Pop out the gummy bears from the mold. Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 7 days. You can pack the gummies to-go or in lunch boxes at room temperature for a few hours without them becoming too soft.

I liked this well enough to share with my neighbor and her family.  She and I picked the elderberries together.
I think I am going to try to experiment with adding CBD oil in the future.  I will have to do my research as I have never worked with that before.
Good luck iddee!

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 12:33:48 pm »
Thank you
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 01:13:22 pm »
Thank you
Which Amazon molds did you order? How did they turn out?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 07:25:56 pm »
I ordered the 4 pack on your link. I haven't bought the juice yet, so haven't tried them.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 05:48:42 pm »
I bought the juice and made them today. They are good, but I threw the molds away when I emptied them. I will try to find some larger ones. These came out the size of a black eye pea.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 11:12:09 am »
I bought the juice and made them today. They are good, but I threw the molds away when I emptied them. I will try to find some larger ones. These came out the size of a black eye pea.
That's pretty small!  What kind of juice did you use?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2023, 06:50:12 pm »
Just used the apple in the OP.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 11:55:47 am »
I made the elderberry gummies with CBD oil yesterday.  I haven't tasted them yet, but I did lick the spoon and had a bad taste in my mouth the rest of the day. That's unfortunate.