Author Topic: Charging Money For Live Bee Goods  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Charging Money For Live Bee Goods
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:49:55 pm »
This will be my third year as a bee mentor for our county. I don't give or loan out bee equipment anymore. I ask $10 for inner covers, $3 for shims/spacers for winter feeding. Etc. This is the time of year where many hives in our county are much smaller due to winter bee die off, but the queen is still present and laying just a few eggs at a time. I have three hives to where I could spare a frame or two of brood and nurse bees to help give some other beekeepers hives a boost? How much would I charge for a medium frame of brood and nurse bees?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline yes2matt

Re: Charging Money For Live Bee Goods
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:13:38 pm »
This will be my third year as a bee mentor for our county. I don't give or loan out bee equipment anymore. I ask $10 for inner covers, $3 for shims/spacers for winter feeding. Etc. This is the time of year where many hives in our county are much smaller due to winter bee die off, but the queen is still present and laying just a few eggs at a time. I have three hives to where I could spare a frame or two of brood and nurse bees to help give some other beekeepers hives a boost? How much would I charge for a medium frame of brood and nurse bees?
Going price for a nuc in my area is 175. That's three fr brood, one fr stores, one fr drawn comb, full of bees, established queen, cheap but reusable box. If you slice and dice into components I think that puts a frame of brood and covering bees in the 30-35 range. For just a little more effort I would raise and sell the nuc for the full price.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:47:42 am »
I have to agree with yes2matt.  Instead of selling your frame of brood with nurse bees, make some nucs up and sell them.  A pair of local keeps are selling nucs for $198.
You also have to consider that your bees have to replace that drawn comb if you remove it from their hive.
I wouldn't lend any of my equipment out, even if I had my name on it.  Another struggling wanna be beekeeper puts his bees in your equipment and you can forget about getting it back, even with your name on it.  We all know equipment is expensive!  I understand the desire to help others be successful, but don't do it at your expense.  If you have extra frames of brood, transfer them to your own weaker colonies to even out your own hives.
I've taken some of my wooden ware with me when I have gone to help someone out. When I came home, I was scratching my head wondering how I came home with rotten hive bodies!

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:12 pm »
at this time of the year I would not part with any resources. there's always a chance that you might need them yourself in a week or 2 or 3 & then you'll find that you just shot yourself in the foot. if you a hive that's overflowing give a weaker hive a boost. if not don't fix that which is not broken. conditions within hives can change quickly & March is often the hardest to get thru.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 03:26:31 pm »
at this time of the year I would not part with any resources. there's always a chance that you might need them yourself in a week or 2 or 3 & then you'll find that you just shot yourself in the foot. if you a hive that's overflowing give a weaker hive a boost. if not don't fix that which is not broken. conditions within hives can change quickly & March is often the hardest to get thru.

rober's response got me to thinking.  This scenario is a good argument for beginners starting with more than one colony.  If a first timer has more than one colony they can:
1. have something to compare to.  Is my hive doing well?  Is my queen laying like she should?  etc.
2. Can bolster a weak hive with frames of brood from the stronger hive.
3. In the event of queen failure and queens are not available, two colonies can be combined and later split when queens are available.

I think first timers underestimate the equipment that they need.  Some of it is the industries fault.  The beginner's kits don't have shims, extra hive bodies, etc. 

Jen, I am beginning to see a possible money making opportunity for you.  Have extra new equipment on hand and sell it to those in need.  You won't get rich, but you won't lose your equipment.  If there is someone local that carries beekeeping equipment?  Then send those in need to them.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:39:04 am »
Jen,  I just saw a posting on Facebook by a beekeeper in Missouri.  I won't copy and paste but will quote him.  "I will have a bunch of extra brood that I'll be looking to sell if anyone wants to make their own nucs or boost existing hives.  Price will be $30 each for the first two frames and $25 each thereafter.  Will have approximately 100 frames available for purchase."
Perhaps that will help you decide what to charge for extra brood frames.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 02:03:14 pm »
Hi Baker  :) That seems to be the going rate in the states. $30 for a frame of brood.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 07:23:55 am »

Jen, I am beginning to see a possible money making opportunity for you.  Have extra new equipment on hand and sell it to those in need.  You won't get rich, but you won't lose your equipment.  If there is someone local that carries beekeeping equipment?  Then send those in need to them.
I'm going to do this too. I don't market heavily but if someone asks, I will sell a nuc. But if someone has nothing to start I send them to a local shop or another beekeeper who can get them fully set up. I've given away almost a $grand in the last couple years. What!?! Why don't I just get a couple extra full hive setups and stash them in the barn. Of course only equipment that I would use anyway. Then if someone needs a full setup, the answer is "yes" and I can keep the nuc sale and the relationship.

What was I (not) thinking before? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 10:43:37 pm »
I'm going to also pipe in here, and also say.. make the nuc instead of selling frames of brood.  Can you or your hubby make frames on the table saw? if you can you make more money than if you buy and assemble them.. either way, DON'T lose money on them. Your bees work hard to fill those frames. They are valuable, as is your time, and the care and treatment you give the bees so they can build up. They won't make you rich, but they can put some spare money in your pocket and make the effort worthwhile.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*