Author Topic: How much activity is normal around a split?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Marion

How much activity is normal around a split?
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »
On Thursday we made our first split. They do not have a queen because I want them to make one from the brood. I have not seen a lot of activity around the split. I hear them in there. I see a couple of bees crawling around the outside of the hive. They do not seem to be using the front entrance, rather using the small exit of the inner cover. Only 1-3 bees seen at any one time. Is this because they are saving energy and with fewer bees are trying to reorganize? I will look in on Monday (day 4) and see if there are any queen cells happening.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
Re: How much activity is normal around a split?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:10:18 pm »
Is it possible that they're mostly nurse bees and not used to flying in and out yet?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:31:51 pm »
When you say split, how big of a split?  How many frames of bees did you put in there?  To me a sustainable size is 4 frames (2 brood, one honey, one pollen) and the bees from at least one more frame shaken in.  What happens is that all the foragers go back to the original hive, so all you're left with is nurse bees in the split.  They'll start flying in a couple of days.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:12 pm »
This is good to know Marion, thanks for asking  :)  I did a split around the same time as you did, the frames that were left in the original hive the bees are coming and going as usual. But the other half is no action at all. I took a peek and there are still bees in there.

Thanks Slow and Pete, I'll keep my eye out  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Marion

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:22:59 pm »
i put the right amount of frames in there, but forgot to shake in extra bees. I'm going to look in there tomorrow which will be 4 days since the split and see if a queen cell is being made and I may shake in a frame of bees then.