Author Topic: Mistake of the day!  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Mistake of the day!
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »

Just put the bucket under the spigot, sat down to take a load off and looked down.  Oh poop, I forgot to
close the gate on the collection bucket.  Thank goodness, I sat down because usually I just let it run and go clean up......whew!

With so many swarms this year, I have more hives than I ever intended to have.  However (for me), it has been a banner honey year...... 125 lbs more or less!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Mistake of the day!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:21:49 pm »
Whew Les! That was close!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:35:33 pm »
Right on Les!  We were spinning honey and I knew the bucket was close to being full, got side tracked just for a moment and yeah, couple gallons on the floor.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Kathi

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:55:11 am »
Hi Les. Thanks for your post. I want to be a 2 hive Beekeeper, but swarming this year has bumped me up to 6 hives, and I'm still new at this. How do experienced beekeepers reduce hive numbers, or manage hives to stay at a consistent number?

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 09:23:43 am »
I'm not Les, but, Kijiji or facebook. Sell the excess and recoup some of your expenses.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:35:10 am »
Agree with Iddee. Find out what the going price is for a 'one box hive' that is full of bees, capped brood, larvae, eggs, And the queen. If you have a bee association in your area, go there and tell them you have bees for sale.

I have found that in our area, upper northern California, we can't sell bees, on facebook, Craigslist, Ebay, or the local online marketplaces, because they are considered livestock.

If you hive is two boxes high, double the price.

Springtime and early summer are the best time to unload extra colonies. You might want to consider over wintering your hives and then you can get a premium price for your extra hives. Last year I pocketed $1,400 for my nucs.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:39:42 pm »
Good ideas everyone!