Author Topic: A taste of honey!  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
A taste of honey!
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »
We were helping a member of the bee Club who was ill and needed help with his extracting.  The honey had a normal taste that it should have, PLUS two distinct floral notes.  The best I've tasted. 

Then, two days later, after bottling it, it was still good, but without those flowery notes to the taste.  Can anyone help me understand what happened here?  No heat was used in bottling.

TIA  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: A taste of honey!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:18:03 pm »
Different honeys CAN separate in the jar. The heavier one sinking. You may find the floral taste when you finish the jar.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:04:27 pm »
There is no substitute for experience iddee. thanks.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:41:11 am »
An other thing that can happen is that some of the distinct floral notes can come from plant oils and they evaporate out of the honey. When judging honey one of the things we do to is to take the lid off of the jar when we have the jar under our noise and smell. this lets you experience the aromas that have evaporated from the honey. At times what you smell and what you taste can be quite different.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.