Author Topic: How to deal with Beeswax (solar)  (Read 11414 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
How to deal with Beeswax (solar)
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:54:39 pm »
Part of the enjoyment of keeping bees is the great bounty of stuff we end up with after being fascinated by them all summer.
First, there's honey, then pollen, beeswax, and even propolis!
This is my method of dealing with beeswax. It is not the most efficient, but I hope to improve on the worst part of it shortly.

First I let the cappings drain for as long as I can (this is the most inefficient part of my system right here).  :(

Most of the time I put my cappings into a solar melter and they usually come out great. This is a cold frame I had built for my wife, but with a little ingenuity (insulation) I turned it into a solar melter.

This can be done on the cheap using scrap wood and an old reclaimed window!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Solar Wax Melter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 03:21:20 pm »
My solar wax melter
First: How do i clean my wax before it's placed in the solar unit?  i use cappings bags in my extractor that spins the honey out of them. then i place and throw them in a paint strainer bag. i fill a 5 gallon pail with water and slosh the strainer bag with the cappings in it around, and run more water through the bucket until the water is clear. i let the cappings air dry using a huge strainer or tub. (of course this is all done outside with a garden hose, and not in the kitchen.... <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->

This is my solar wax melter, and the materials i use to melt my wax. it's  lined with galvanized tin, no insulation and has an oven thermometer inside so that i can visually see the temp. the window was a throw away and is hinged on, and also the box is lined with weather seal where the frame of the window meets the box.

materials for melting and filtering:
aluminum weber grill pans or turkery roaster pans
1/4” hardware cloth
black window screening
threadbare t-shirts or cheesecloth
milk cartons
binder clips large and small

this one i can melt deep frames and queen excluders in if need be, large and small amounts of cappings or scrapings. i clean the wax first as described earlier in my post # 8. i use ¼” hardware cloth clipped to an aluminum weber grill pan or turkey roaster pan. the hardware cloth I curl up at the bottom to catch any melting wax that might slide forward and fall into the milk carton. the clips are those black metal thingy’s to clip large amounts of paper together with. on top the hardware cloth i place a layer of black window screen ( clipped together on top the hardware cloth). the window screen is excellent to use as it catches most of the junk so it is not draining to the bottom of the weber pan, or into the milk carton. i shape the weber pan to pour the melting wax into a milk carton. on top of the milk carton, i clip a threadbare t-shirt or several layers of cheese cloth, this acts as an additional filter. when the melting wax drains through the window screen, the hardware cloth and the threadbare t-shirt material, the wax comes out very clean. depending on how clean it is, i will run it through again. the sun bleaches the wax. when the brick cools, i just cut the carton and peel the brick out. i store the wax bricks in ziplocs in a plastic tub, and in a cool dry place.

what’s nice is black or gray window screening is inexpensive and a very good initial filter, so i just remove it because it is full of junk, throw it out and start with a new piece for the next batch of cappings or wax i melt. i do the same with the threadbare t-shirt. When the hardware cloth gets a little gunky, i just hit it with a propane torch, cleans it right up and can re-use it.

also i stumbled across some great material for straining melting wax in home depot. in the paint and stain section,(home depot) look for WORKFORCE 10 pk Wiping Cloths. this stuff is white t shirt material and is perfect for straining. the size of the material, (10 x 15) is perfect to cut in 1/2 and use over a milk carton, so you will have 20 sheets of this to use. about 4 bucks. i do not like to use a sheet of paper towel across the milk carton because it soaks up too much wax and sometimes runs over the side of the carton.....i discovered in a final melting with bricks that might have some specs in it, if i use 2 layers of cheese cloth with a small 2 or 3" square cut out of the paper towel, placed on top the cheese cloth and directly under the pain the wax is melting this works great to collect the specs, and this little square doesn't soak up much wax.

i use 2 different sizes of weber pans, the largest one to pile on cappings or scrapings. once the wax is melted and in a brick, or for smaller amounts of wax, i will use a smaller aluminum pan. all with the window screen, hardware cloth, and threadbare material/cheesecloth. some beeks use bounty paper towel to filter the wax. my experience with this is, that it soaks up to much melting wax and can run over the side. an old threadbare t-shirt/cheesecloth works much better for filtering, and can be used as fire starters.

i like the smaller bricks of wax , they are easier to store, cut , break apart, or grate to melt down for various projects, candles, lip balm etc.

there is a simple method, though i have never tried but heard very good results with, and you can use an old cooler, or a styrofoam cooler to do it with a window on top sort of like perry’s cold frame:

Paul Magnuson Solar Wax Melter

pix of my solar wax melter:

some really nice bricks of wax!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: How to deal with Beeswax (solar)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
Well, that gives me some ideas..  tyvm.. both of you for posting!!

Ive used old t shirts, but wasnt all that happy with all the wax the cloth liked to suck up.. theres so much gunk that it likes to sit in the t shirt too long.. I think I will try window screen to pre filter, and remelt for a second filtering..  with less gunk it may strain through the cloth easier and faster.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
lazy, the window screen works great, to get most, if not all of the junk, you will be amazed at how will this works. there will still be small particles that get through it and run down, so if you use a really threadbare t-shirt over a milk carton with the screening on the first run, it will catch these particles and your bricks of wax will turn out pretty nice, may have to refine it again.  the threadbare t shirts do soak up some wax, but the end result is cleaner wax. you can't avoid this unless you melt your wax in your wifes kitchen......lol!

i might remelt mine a couple times through as i said, reducing the amount of cloth over the milk carton.

Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:47:18 pm »
K, Thx Mrs River!!   I'll give that a go and see how it works out..   Need to convince the wife to get a mold for the wax to make bars.. we use plastic jugs, and I have used them, but I like the nice neat square bars....  NOT that I will ever be able to keep enough wax to stack neatly..  she steels it for the candle shop about as fast as it cools...

*Sponsor*

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
I love these pictures! I have not yet had enough wax to melt but hope too some day! Thanks!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 11:25:50 pm »
your welcome!  i melt all my wax in the solar wax melter, sure lightens the wax, and the method i use gets it really clean.  i don't like to mess with this in the kitchen during winter months, but many others do, so can't help with tweaking methods on this.

i have also used smaller cartons than the milk cartons, like say 1/2 and 1/2 cartons for smaller amounts of wax.

lazy, mann lake has a sale on now for 1 oz plastic bar molds, i get my molds from b & b honey farm, but thinking on getting some of these plastic ones myself from mann lake  but look around, lots of different molds out there you can reheat the wax and melt into.
Forum Sponsor

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:33:15 pm »
and remember beeswax candles take a larger wick than paraffin wax candles do. Wick too small and it will just slowly burn out no matter what you do.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 09:40:45 am »
Heh!! Yep! She found that out the hard way..  she rattles off wick sizes like I know hat shes talking about.. I usually just nod my head a lot and say Yep, uh hu, Yep....

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
River, I really like your setup there.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 05:25:05 pm »
thanks blue, it works really well for melting and getting the wax clean, and some nice bricks!

Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 01:24:32 am »
anyone getting ready to render/melt wax down yet? 

Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 06:12:03 am »
I've been doing it as I go along. I have a 4 gallon bucket almost full. I throw the days burr comb into my solar melter and then toss the wax into the bucket. Things will really start to pick up when I start extracting though.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:36:26 am »
i discovered some cappings in freezer bags, in the freezer last night, from last year, thought i had melted it all down, so i will get started on that. the burr comb i just throw in ziplocs and freeze, a few of those in the freezer too.  i have an extra small window i have been sitting on for a few years, i'd like to make another smaller solar unit similar to the larger one i have.
Forum Sponsor