Author Topic: Beeswax - value added. Part 1  (Read 12065 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Beeswax - value added. Part 1
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 09:30:01 am »
How about beeswax sculptures?  A club member submitted a beeswax sculpture at the state fair.  She received a purple ribbon and got an article about beeswax sculpting in Bee Culture magazine.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 10:03:23 am »
I'm not a musician, but have several of them buy bees wax for there instruments ?? Jack

Offline Bsweet

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 10:41:26 pm »
Those of us that shoot traditional muzzle loaders use it to make lube for shooting patches and for bullet lube, it is also used to flux molten lead to remove impurities before casting. Some will add it to boiled linseed oil to make a stain/treatment for wooden stocks. Jim
What 5 second rule??? I have rollover minutes

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 12:35:21 am »
What are shooting patches ?
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Bsweet

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »
When you shoot round ball you use a ball smaller than the bore of the gun. A 50 cal. gun would have a bore of .500 and the ball would be .490 so you would need a patch to make a tight fit. Patches are often made of cotton and have a lube on them to aid in loading and help keep the fouling (from burnt gunpowder) soft.  Jim
What 5 second rule??? I have rollover minutes

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:41 am »
"Not a lot of people know that"

I displayed my list of beeswax uses at Saturday's show. It generated a few chats but not new wax sales --- early days. No one was admitting being into muzzle loading firearms.

I am wrong. I did sell a small amount of wax to a chap who wanted to repair his didgeridoo. Apparently the mouthpiece is a ring of beeswax. That will be a new use for the list.

According to a report in the British Medical Journal, playing a didgeridoo can help people who suffer from snoring or obstructive sleep apneoa. When I mentioned this to Lady B a gleam came to her eye (prezzi ?). She might have to decide which would be worse  ---- my snoring or my efforts to play a didgeridoo.    ;D ;D
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 09:07:03 am »
A fellow on the other side of town shoots long range competition with a Sharps, makes his own ammo and lube. Buys wax to make his "secret" mix..

Didgerahwhat?

Didgeridoo is a wind instrument played by Australian Aborigines since time immemorial. The instrument is made of a hollow tree trunk.

OOOOh!   ok...  So I just had to wonder what the difference between snoring and early efforts to play a didgeridoo would be?     :laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*