Author Topic: 3 LBS OF MELTED WAX ON THE FLOOR...........  (Read 10138 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: 3 LBS OF MELTED WAX ON THE FLOOR...........
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:12:42 pm »
Neil ~ Gosh Darn Right!  :D

CBT ~ Check it out! Pft is an actual word... well slang word  ;) 8)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pft
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 10:21:12 pm »
Wman, I can overlook a lot as long as the ironing gets done  :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 06:15:57 pm »
...........funny stuff................ :D

can't say as i iron much, and sure can say and have never seen mr river wearing a pair of heels ironing......... :D
he does know what the iron looks like, but i don't let him near household appliances he forgets to shut off that might start something on fire.......... :D

btw lee, steam iron, towel/paper towel does work well, i did learn this trick from my mother;
i do have an antique iron as wandering man posted....... :D

it sits on a shelf.......... :D

the wax came up easily off the unfinished flooring. we just used a large plastic trowel, a dry wall trowel was at the ready.
all you need to do is wait until the wax is semi soft, it comes up easily. 

i won't be doing this anytime soon again.............
no one asked why i had 3lbs of molten wax in the living room, i don't think i will admit as to why i had it there.......... :D :D :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 12:42:07 am »

no one asked why i had 3lbs of molten wax in the living room, i don't think i will admit as to why i had it there.......... :D :D :D

We don't need to ask.  You have 3lbs of molten wax in the living room because your a beekeeper.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 06:05:32 pm »
........ :D

very true wandering man, very true!  i have managed to get honey and wax on the floor in the kitchen.....BUT......it's MY kitchen........ :D :D :D
one time i had a customer bring me an older jack daniels whiskey bottle (gallon)he wanted honey in it.  it was sort of a challenge to fill with a narrow top. not sure what happened, i filled the jug, set it aside, picked it up off the counter, and the bottom fell out spilling honey all over my bare feet and the kitchen tile........what a mess!  i think i was more worried about the antique jar than i was spilling the honey all over?  the customer blew it off and gave me another........ :D
i have had some other mishaps with honey buckets, not so much with wax. 

has nothing to do with wax or honey but, one time my husband came home to find me in the bathroom with the door shut, trying to clean up (warm water bath in the sink) a juvenile oriole flying around caked in grape jelly............he opened the door and the oriole flew out, trying to get the water bath/ grape jelly off......you know flapping its wings, fly a bit, land, run faster than us, fly, flap, land, run, repeat.......you get the picture.......
grape jelly is really hard to clean off surfaces.....especially material............ :D :D :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 06:31:51 pm »
 :D :D :D Riverbee... your stories... nothing compares  :D

Well except Dunkels 50,000 thousand bees and a skunk in the basement... OMG

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 06:35:47 pm »
how about a skunk in the garage i thought was the neighbors cat............

dang what a smelly operation............... :D

EDIT AND ADD:

never driving around again in a buick with whatever hives we were transporting  that came undone...........and the buick smelled like dog urine and bee gone.............
wisconsin doesn't appreciate folks driving around with bee hives and bees flying around in a vehicle........not to mention the driver and passenger wearing veils.......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 11:09:44 pm »
Yikes.. Rum and coke is ready and waiting at all times Mrs. River..    :yes:
   I do hope to one day arrive at Zweef's house so we an come hunt you down and say Hi.   Provided of course we are not put to work scraping a few pounds of wax off the floor  :P

Have a friend moving up there somewhere that wants help putting up interior walls etc..  will be up that way in January. Need to find out where he is and where Zweef and you are so I can stop by for a visit.  Always wanted to meet a real celebrity like you!!!    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 12:00:24 am »
scott, no work for visitors, unless they volunteer.......... :)
zweef is about an hour from me?
our liquor cabinet and fridge full of cold brew is usually stocked............lol, said usually stocked, we have frequent visitors.  i am not much of a brew drinker, maybe in summer months after mowing, (or something else)i will enjoy a cold brew from the local brewery..........rush river brewery, good stuff, the stuff i like is .... 'unforgiven'.......lol............. :) :) :)
if you wanted a quick tour, the river is my favorite and of course the bees......but.......... sit on the porch, light a fire in the fire pit off the porch, look out the back at the woods and enjoy conversation scott, and of course something on the grill. summer, maybe a fresh catch of trout.  january? .........lol....will be hibernatin'........... :)

an update to spilling 3 lbs of melted wax on the living room hardwoods.... over the weekend i went downstairs to retrieve a box of 25 lbs of wax........
i just wanted to open the box and grab some chunks out of the bag it was in to melt down.........i lifted the bag from the box, (the bottom and sides of the bag totally  blew out) and 25 lbs of bees wax chunks spilled out  onto the tile floor in my entryway for some distance..........
well, at least it wasn't liquid, but the cleanup was challenging........
i am not sure what it is with me and beeswax this year................ :)
patience tested.......LOL!......... ;D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 07:15:07 am »
Not so bad, but I dumped a 30 lb. pail full of slumgum on the basement floor a week ago. I was cleaning out the sludge in the bottom of my wax melter after draining off the beeswax and honey, and as I lifted the pail of gunk out the handle broke. Fortunately I just let it harden on the concrete floor and then just scraped it up and dumped it into the compost bin where it was headed anyway.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 07:38:32 am »
"btw lee, steam iron, towel/paper towel does work well, i did learn this trick from my mother; "
I came back to this thread to refresh my memory.  Iron and paper towels.  :yes:
My husband knocked my little wax melter on the ceramic tile kitchen floor.  I had a smelly beeswax concoction in there that I had made.     :sad:  I scraped, scraped, scraped with a brownie server.  Then I tried my hair dryer and power towel.  My hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.  I will try the iron and paper towel trick.   

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 01:42:27 am »
"I dumped a 30 lb. pail full of slumgum on the basement floor a week ago. I was cleaning out the sludge in the bottom of my wax melter after draining off the beeswax and honey, and as I lifted the pail of gunk out the handle broke. Fortunately I just let it harden on the concrete floor and then just scraped it up"

PICTURES!!!!...........lol!!! just kidding perry..........what a mess? concrete.....i am guessing there is a stain in the concrete floor? still a PITA to clean up.

'My husband knocked my little wax melter on the ceramic tile kitchen floor.  I had a smelly beeswax concoction in there that I had made.     :sad:  I scraped, scraped, scraped with a brownie server.  Then I tried my hair dryer and power towel.  My hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.  I will try the iron and paper towel trick. '

bakers, what are you using for a wax melter? and what smelly beeswax concoction did you have going.........LOL........ :)
the best type of scraper on a tile floor is a hive tool........ :) :) :)..........but that MIGHT scratch your tile, so the next best thing is a wide plastic putty tool/ scraper....it will get the wax up. i keep one handy when making candles.  it gets the drips....etc, a little harder to get out of the grout and any wax smears.....so i get after the tile floor  using hot water/pinesol, and a scotch brite scouring pad........

works faster than trying to iron up/heat gun with paper towel or cotton cloth in a larger area.........
how do i know this?
............. :) :) :)
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 08:20:10 am »
Hey river, and everyone else... have you thought about pouring candle wax into a jelly jar or Mason jar?  I think that would be really easy to make a candle out of.  When done I would cap with the canning lid and ring.  The ring
 left in place while burning would make the candle continue to look like a canning/jelly jar.   There are all kinds of interesting shapes of canning jars these days.  I am not 100% certain, but the jar should withstand the heat. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:45 am »
i have thought of using mason jars (they will withstand the heat), and some other experiments in tins, small glass jars and a couple small enamel cowboy coffee cups (mini size)!   i haven't done so yet but would like to try.  i think getting the right wick size would be the challenge for the size of the jar, and dependent on the quality of the beeswax used.

Forum Sponsor

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »
That's the way I hope to do it, in a jar. There is a wick chart on here somewhere.

Gypsi

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »
This is a domestic thread.  going out to get antifreeze in the truck and plastic over the last 2 windows...  (hope all better now Riverbee)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 08:36:36 pm »
domestic gypsi?

hmmm, well the wax i spilled on the floor is costly........both in labor and dollars. the wax makes candles for me, which sells, so money for candles.....what i did manage to salvage had to be cleaned/filtered again, after my mistake before i could use what was salvaged to pour candles to sell............it pays bills and pays for some of my expenses....... ;D

the prosthetic hips are doing pretty good, will be a year out from the 2nd surgery feb 1st.....can tell ya i am not doing any ice skating anytime soon!......... :) :) :)

cbt............
the wicking charts i have posted are a guideline only.  you have to experiment to ensure the wick you choose burns well in the container.  i use square braid wicking, this is the best for beeswax.  it can be a challenge, and a great learning curve. i sometimes have the most trouble with votives and sometimes tealights.  it is hard to achieve the desired results sometimes (a perfect burning candle).........not tunneling, drowning out, burning too fast, flickering flame, spikey high flame, wax on the side of a votive container etc.......

Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: CBT

Gypsi

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »
They were talking about irons.

not to diminish your wax loss but I don't know where mine is and I am not sure what it does.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:00 pm »
I thought I would give the wick and candle supply store a call before I order. They say the man is very nice and has great advice.

Gypsi

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 10:21:26 pm »
I am glad your hips are doing well Riverbee. I go in for carpal tunnel surgery tomorrow. My ability to make anything smaller than a waterfall (except bad jokes) has been gradually reduced to zip for the last 17 years.  I have insurance for a couple more weeks so getting the surgery done.  Perhaps one day I will make a candle too.