Author Topic: Fish  (Read 2765 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Fish
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:10:02 pm »
Here you go, Jack.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Fish
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:10 pm »
Nice mess, Iddee! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:09 am »
LUNCH!   Can't wait to pull the toon out fo the shed and get it ready to go fishing.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:04 am »
How well, does the 'toon work for ICE fishing?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »
Iddee, you pulled the cats out of the ice?  I've never caught a catfish ice fishing.  I bet they taste great!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
No, but if lazy takes the pontoon out this week, it is likely to be on ice. It was 76 degrees, with water temp at 49 F. when I caught those.

Remember, Ted, there's a couple degrees difference in temps between Iowa and N.C.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:20 pm »
Amen.  Still, I'd like to taste a catfish pulled from an iced over pond. :)
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:12 pm »
Well, you should have plenty of iced over ponds to go get a few from. :D
― Shel Silverstein

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:28:17 pm »
Ive done lots of ice fishing, it's really quite fun ice skating from one hole to another, but as I said, I've never caught catfish that way.  Not sure why, bait probably. 8)

Offline Some Day

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 10:43:02 pm »
Ive done lots of ice fishing, it's really quite fun ice skating from one hole to another, but as I said, I've never caught catfish that way.  Not sure why, bait probably. 8)

Fish for them at night, just like during the summer. Over the deepest (warmest) water in the lake or pond.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 09:10:00 am »
Thanks for the tip Some Day!

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 11:34:15 am »
Cat fish out of cold water somehow has a different taste??? In the old days Dad and my uncles would set fish traps with stink bait they made? They would drag a giant iron treble hook to catch the wire the trap was tied to and raise it up with 50 to over a 100 flopping cat fish in it . Sometimes their would be only a boat wide stream of open water in the middle of the river and they would have to chop ice to get to it and down to where the trap was (14 ft. wood river boat, oars , and a one and a half gas motor to get back with) and chop ice to get to the trap. Bring them back to the two story Log Cabin, Mom , Grandmas and Aunts would fry them up on an old coal oil cook stove in a iron skillet with fried taters,slaw made from Turnips and cornbread, Milk,Tea, or Beer. Now that was Living!!! Cat fish just doesn't taste that good anymore??? In the month of June Noodled Flathead Catfish cooked on the putside fire place  at the cabin was a big hit also :yes: Well i hope your happy Iddee , you got me thinking  and longing for those days !!! I would still go Noodle one but my brothers are to big a coward to help me and my wife said Never Again? :sad:

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 11:52:21 am »
You call it noodling. We call it graveling. I guess the difference is the size. Yours are 20 lb. and up. Our largest were 5 lbs. in the river I grew up in. It was a normal day for 3 or 4 boys to hand catch 200 or more bream and mud cats.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:57:19 pm »
I have a picture of a 87 lb. Yellow Cat fish (also called Flathead) my Dad and uncles gotout of our old noodling log,many big catfish came out of it over the years.(in 8 ft of water) We would take a cane pole and wrap tie a larg fish hook on the small end of it with a rope in the eye of the hook, and someone in the boat had the other end of the rope. The Hook had a Red rag on it and the diver wold run the cane pole back into the log with the hook standing straight up, The Big cat fish would attack it, the diver would give it a hard jerk and hook it. Then GET OUT of the way!If If it didn't come out when hooked, a jerk or two on the rope from the one in the boat will bring him out and the battle was on :D I was there when they got the 87 lb. one (around 9 yrs. old)Dad and i was in a 12 ft wood boat and Dad kept a tight rope on that Big cat and it pulled us all over that wide part of the river. It took two of them to get it in the boat and it was bigger than me and it looked like it was snapping at me and scared the heck out of me. I love that Big Sac river and still fish it with a rod and reel , it runs out of the Stockton Lake into the Truman Lake now. The old noodling log is under mud now in about 9 ft of water. SAD. My brother burnt the old log cabin, it was about to fall in and he was afraid someone would get hurt>

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 04:38:53 pm »

I was about ten, down on the river when my Uncle tied into a big 80 plus pound flathead.. My uncle was a little guy, 5'3, but he was ornery as heck...   Loved a good fight...  ANyhow, that big flathead grabbed him, and the water exploded.. he had enough time to yell for help...  everyone was running... They had to use a tire iron to pry the fishes mouth open so my uncle could get his arm out.. he had a "sleeve" on to protect his arm, but the fish's mouth was deeper than the sleeve. he carried those scars to his grave.

The toon would work good on the ice!!!  Has all the comforts, live well, grille, all of it!  really hard to turn though! Would have to use a 4 wheeler to pull it around!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*