Author Topic: DIY Metal Brake (for lids)  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
DIY Metal Brake (for lids)
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:25 pm »
I always liked the pro style metal lids that the store bought telescoping covers came with. I tried a couple ways of my own, but was never happy with the results.
I stumbled across one of those posts (long ago) that showed the simplest way to make pro bends for cheap.
This is one of those ideas that is so simple you smack yourself on the forehead wondering why no one else thought of it before. Sort of like the D. Coates 5 frame nuc box, which is brilliant in my book.
First and foremost, credit to where credit is due. This complicated device was introduced to me via the web by David LaFerney, and it is to him all credit must go. This is merely a recreation of his idea!
Get your material = 1 piece of 2 x 4 about 2 feet long.

Then, using a table saw, rip a kerf along one corner on a 45 degree angle, 1/2 inch deep (your preference as to overhang), the length of your 2 x 4.

Guess what??  You're done! That simple! That easy!
I named mine so I wouldn't accidentally cut it up.

So, get your flashing for your tops (this is just a piece of cut-off I had to demonstrate).

Slide/insert your metal into the groove.

And simply fold it over. I like to go a little past 90 degree and allow it to come back a bit.

Done! Nice crisp edge, just like store bought!

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: DIY Metal Brake (for lids)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »
NICE!!!  I use the edge of the table.. will have to make one of those...

Now we need Pro demos on corners!!!   I usually cut mine and fold them over, but dislike the sharp corner that inevitably sticks out. I tried folding the corner without cutting, and usually end up with a mess....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:20 pm »
I use a big dab of silicon caulk to fix the sharp corners, plus it seals them up. Inside and out with the dab.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:19:49 pm »
Perry that is just too simple. Make two sizes, one for the sides and one for the ends.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
That is pretty slick.   I use to do the ole bend and bang with a hammer over a section of angle iron, but that gets old real quick.   Then I discovered a duct hand bender from an HVAC friend of mine.   Perhaps one of the best $20 I've spent.  When I use to make my cut-out shims from #8,  this hand bender produced nice consistent folded edges.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
I do the very exact thing Perry.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:34:41 am »
Perry that is just too simple. Make two sizes, one for the sides and one for the ends.
If the bending jig is the length of the long side, bend the short ends first and then the long sides and the jig will fit between the ends allowing for all sides to be bent to 90 Deg.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.