Author Topic: Treatment  (Read 2610 times)

Offline badgerbeekernube66

Treatment
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:11:12 am »
We treated our hives this weekend with hopguard. After 24 hours we counted 25 dead mites on our ipm board. I have no idea if that's a lot, seems to be more than I was expecting.
Any comments? I will head back in a day or two to do another count hope the treatment works.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:50:26 am »
Unless you had an idea of your count before treating it would be hard to say. In any event, dead mites are what you are after. ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:55:14 am »
That is a fact perry :yes:
I had thought about doing a sugar roll, but my bees have been quite cranky lately, tired of getting hit.
That was the first time I have seen one of those little bloodsuckers, hope to see more of them dead next time. Feeling optimistic about the hopguard 2.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:19:14 am »
I don't know if it's available up here yet. If it ever becomes so, I will have to check it out. I'm using MAQS again this year, about to start now since the temps have finally dropped a bit.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:46 am »
LOL, any dead mite is a good thing, whether it's one or 25! ............. :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:58:53 am »
For sure river!
Day two of treatment, counted only 12 mites. It should be said that this particular hive had been queenless for about a month because of swarms, so it had a good brood break which I'm sure helped beat back the mite population.
Perry, hopguard is a bit messy and the bees don't seem overly fond of it, but if the results are good its worth the pain so as to not have to use any harsh chemicals.
Fingers crossed they make it through winter.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:58:08 am »
I used Hopguard before I went to OAV, as I understand it they have changed it a bit?  When I treated with hopguard I had to run three treatments, or a years worth through the hives all at once to get a good mite kill...
   Man dont get that stuff in your eye it burns like someone stuck a hot poker in there.
   Part of my reason for going OAV is because I could never seem to keep from getting that stuff everywhere...  I would think I was good until I went to take off gloves, or suit, or hood etc...   usually I found it about the time I smeared it all over myself...   The other reason was because of how the bees reacted to it...  Hopguard dosnt seem to affect queens, drones or workers in any way, except that it smells bad enough that it has them bearding when first installed...  after that they seem to get used to it, and will even tear up the strips and haul them out.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:50:51 pm »
It was quite messy lazy..... If I'm happy with the results I will certainly use it again next year. I think that I will use a Tupperware container to carry strips in instead of the bag, should make it much more manageable.
I also will be raising my own hopps in the garden next season as I have read reports the bees visit them later in the season. One beek says he never has to treat his hives that are by his hopps, and they have great success over winter.