Author Topic: Fox with mange.  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Fox with mange.
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:06:42 pm »
Had this poor fox slowly walk across the road in front of me. I could tell it wasn't well. I took a couple quick pics and then contacted DNR. They said to send them the pics as there had been a couple other similar reports in that area. Hopefully they will try and live trap a few and treat them at Hope's.
https://www.hopeforwildlife.net/

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Fox with mange.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 12:35:55 pm »
Perry,

Hope they can help the little guy. Around here, anytime one sees a nocturnal critter in daytime it is a sure sign they are ill.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »
A couple of years ago I saw a bobcat that was ill (starving) due to the massive amount of snow. It was live trapped, brought to Hope's and survived. A total of 5 were brought to her but only 2 survived, the other 3 were too far gone. :sad:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 01:44:31 pm »
I see a lot of it here, its mother natures way of thinning down a high fox population. Usually see it in late winter and spring, during breeding so they are spreading it through out the population. Sometimes half the population here has it and they go half bald with itching and scabs and freeze/ succumb to the elements.

There is no" balance of nature", its feast or famine with population swings in both directions.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
Mange is something humans introduced many many years ago as a control for wolves.  It's been with us ever since.
Chip

Offline .30WCF

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 11:31:54 pm »
Watch out for those foxes. Here is one that attacked me in my drive way. I was building a ladder rack for a truck and had a piece of metal in my hand at the time and was able to defend myself.  I didn’t get a bite, but it got pretty intense. I was reading the instructions on the tailgate of the truck when I heard the gravel roll behind me. I turned around without enough time to swing at it, but only to halfway push the fox away from my shorts wearing leg with the vertical post of the ladder rack. I fell to the ground while backing away, but to my surprise, the yoke went around its neck and I now had the fox, dangling eye level with me, while sitting down, caught in the metal support. I got up and I slammed it on the ground once, and it was still captured. I slammed it a second time, but it flew out and landed  7’  from me. It rolled over, got to its feet and came at me again. I swung that pole like Jack Nicklaus. The fox flew 20’ and laid there on its side. I’ll save the details after that, but again, I didn’t get bitten. Animal control came out and said, “ he didn’t come up to kiss you.” 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 10:37:47 am »
Yikes!  What an experience.  Quick reflexes, .30!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 11:07:58 pm »
 Any nocturnal mammal seen in daytime is a "red flag". Some years ago I got charged by a ground hog of all things. It was bout 3 in the afternoon and he came barrelling out of the brush straight at me. I jumped over him and all he did was stop and look right into my eyes while rapidly and loudly gnashing his teeth together. I managed to pick up a large stone and slam it down on the little fellow and put him out of his misery. I had a friend lost a bull many years ago to a rabid coyote bite.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a