Author Topic: Suggestions for another event  (Read 159 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Suggestions for another event
« on: September 12, 2021, 11:36:27 am »
Later this month I am returning to the same pollinator garden for a fall event celebrating the migration south of Monarch Butterflies.  We are in the path of the migration.  I am promoting honey bees and taking a back seat to the Monarchs.  The event will be open to the public so I anticipate families attending.  I thought I would approach the educational aspect by talking about what honey bees do in the winter.  "Monarchs migrate south, but what do honey bees do in the winter?"  I am going to take a hive set up: bottom board, 2 brood boxes, frames, inner and outer lid.  I have honey sticks for everyone and some "I heart honey bees" stickers.  I might promote fall planting for spring nectar and pollen sources.  Any suggestions?  Do you have a better ideas on an area to focus on?  Native bees will be represented by someone else.

Offline RAST

Re: Suggestions for another event
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 08:33:08 am »
Have you ever used an observation hive at an event or considered one?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Suggestions for another event
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:45:27 am »
Have you ever used an observation hive at an event or considered one?
An observation hive would be a great asset for this event.  I am considering asking a local handy beekeeper to make me one this winter.  It looks like a briefcase.
I have ordered this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N99K84Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  I will use this as a visual aide to explain how the cluster functions in the winter.  I think that will help kids understand the winter cluster.