Author Topic: Cold Weather Package Bee Installing  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Cold Weather Package Bee Installing
« on: April 22, 2023, 07:39:19 pm »
I picked up two packages of bees today.  I am excited about them as the beekeeper making up the packages has a good reputation.
The high today was 54 F.  It's supposed to drop down to 29F tonight.  I did a cold weather package install.  A very knowledgeable beekeeping friend says that this method is her favorite for installing packages.  I meant to take more pictures. but I forgot.

This is how I did it.
On the bottom board I placed an empty brood box.  I placed a shallow red brick on the bottom board and set the package of bees on top of the brick.  I removed the feeder can and queen.  I thumb tacked the queen cage to the bottom of a frame.  On top of the empty brood box with the package I placed a brood box with frames. I made sure the queen was dangling from the frame over the hole left by the feeder can.  I then put on an inner cover, a feeder bucket, another empty brood box to cover the feeder bucket, and the telescoping outer lid.  Entrance reducer on front and I will leave them like this until the weather is more favorable.  That should be tomorrow according to the weather forecast. 
The bees had been in the package long enough with the queen that they were tending to her well.  I know they will cluster around her tonight and she will be fine.  The bees should come out of the package and onto the frames and be able to cluster. 
The following users thanked this post: neillsayers, The15thMember

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Cold Weather Package Bee Installing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 10:52:29 pm »
How did it work out?   I have done that a total of twice, worked as expected the first time, the second time? I forgot about them for a week...  Wasn't TOO bad to clean up the mess.....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Cold Weather Package Bee Installing
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 11:10:14 am »
How did it work out?   I have done that a total of twice, worked as expected the first time, the second time? I forgot about them for a week...  Wasn't TOO bad to clean up the mess.....

It worked great. I was able to go out the next day and remove the package box and place all the frames in the brood box.  The weather cooperated, fortunately.  There were still bees in the package box, but I had dumped enough bees around that queen cage that she didn't get chilled.  Those queens have been released since then and I am seeing eggs and larvae.

We have had some squirrely weather across Kansas this spring.  Temperatures in the 80s and 90s then the next week temperatures drop down to freezing at night.