Author Topic: Friendly reminder regarding the heat  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Friendly reminder regarding the heat
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:16 am »
It's July.  It's hot and humid here.  A reminder to all regarding getting over heated while working bees.  Many of our colonies are in remote areas. 
1.Carry a cell phone with you.  Hopefully you can get a signal! 
2.Take a buddy with you, if possible.
3.Take frequent breaks.  Does you vehicle have air conditioning?  Don't be afraid to cool off inside your vehicle.
4. Drink lots of water THE DAY BEFORE working your bees. Take ice water with you in an insulated cooler or cup.
5. Avoid alcohol.
5. Know the signs of heat stroke. Call 911 or get to an emergency room immediately if you have symptoms. Symptoms include: Temperature of 104 F or greater, confusion, reddish skin, nausea/vomiting, rapid shallow breathing, rapid heart rate, throbbing headache.
6. Try to work your bees early or late in the day when temperatures are cooler.
7. If you are on medications, read the side effects.  Should you avoid extreme heat and sun?

Did I forget anything?

I had a scary situation yesterday while helping a 2nd year beekeeper with her colonies.  Fortunately, her hives were at her house and her daughter was home.  A bee stung her on her hand and she starting "not feeling well" a few minutes after that.  She went into the house.  I continued to inspect her hives.  Her daughter called out to me to come help because she had dialed 911.  When I found her she was white as a ghost, hyper ventilating, and was beginning to suffer tingling and loss of feeling in her hands and face.  This led to extreme pain in her hands and more panic from her.  While waiting for the ambulance, I applied ice to the back of her neck.  She earned a ride to the ER and checked out fine.   I think she was on some medication that amplified her condition.  So, there were multiple things going on and not being a doctor, it was hard to tell what was happening.
Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was the lack of air movement in her subdivision back yard surrounded by privacy fence.  Just sayin' that didn't help.

The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Friendly reminder regarding the heat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:29:44 am »
Thanks for the PSA.
Sounds like a scary situation! Glad it turned out okay...
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:41:13 am »
Yes working bees is hot work in the summer. I wear a head band to keep sweat out of my eyes. Always do as much as I can in the earliest part of the morning and later in the evening when it has started to cool off.

Always carry water and not ice cold either, best if at 40 to 50 F temp. Ice cold is fine for packing under your shirt. Yes I wear a long sleave shirt so it can breath and not trap all that hot air in a non breathable bee suit.
Isn't a bad Idea to have a damp towel in the cooler to wrap around your neck if felling overly hot.

We also carry two epi pens with us. I hear so many say they are alergic to bee stings and when i ask if they carry an epi pen with them.
So many say no. Why if you know your alergic do you risk your life.

Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 09:30:24 am »
 :eusa_clap:  Two thumbs up, Alleyyooper!
I learned to wear a head band as well.  I pull it down over my ears!  I had a veil that rested on my ears, so you know where I got stung.
I think the high cost of an epi pen prevents some people from buying them. 
A phlebotomist told me to drink a lot of water the day before you have blood drawn.  You will be well hydrated tomorrow if you drink water today.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 01:11:31 pm »
When someone says they are allergic, I ask what happens when they get stung. Most say they swell like a balloon. That's why they don't know about or carry an Epi. They aren't really allergic. Just sensitive.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:21:00 pm »
We carry a 2 gallon sprayer devoted to water, no pesticides or herbicides, with the wand set to mist.  It comes in handy in case the smoker gets out of control, or we need a cool-down while working the hives.  The water is just out of the garden hose, but is still drinkable, if need-be.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people