Author Topic: Great Plains Master Beekeeping Program  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Great Plains Master Beekeeping Program
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:00:59 am »
I just enrolled in the Great Plains Master Beekeeping Program that is associated with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.  I have been waiting for their program to get up and running so that I can get certified.  The program is less than a year old and new classes and beekeeping organizations are being added all the time. 
https://gpmb.unl.edu/
There is currently grant money available to allow for free enrollment.  There is a charge for testing out of the 4 levels.  The levels are Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, and Certified Master.  The title of Certified Master Beekeeping would like cool on your honey label!  :yes:
Unlike other Master Beekeeping programs, this is not exclusively done online.  There are hands on requirements, field tests, volunteer work, and classes that must be accomplished.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Great Plains Master Beekeeping Program
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 01:24:37 pm »
You are going to have a blast, B13!  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:12:16 am »
Oh Nice Baker! I have to get my courage up for this kind of learning. I'm already a mentor out in the field all summer long for our county bee club. I'll ask our agriculture commissioner who is the bee club president if there is a paid position with the county if I had this certification, that would be the Bees Knees  :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Some Day

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 01:54:10 am »
Bakersdozen,

You will find Dr. Judy Wu-Smart to be very informative.  The first day of class will be like drinking from a fire hose.
You will do well as you have been at this for a while and can grasp a lot of the information given since you have "been there and done that".

You can take some on line lessons from Sheldon Brummel while you are waiting for your hands on class.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 10:42:04 am »
Thanks Some Day!
Judy Wu-Smart is a dynamo!  We have had the privilege of her speaking, at our bee club annual event in June, for the last 5 years.  We always ask her to cover pests and diseases and trouble shooting at the hive. 

I haven't quite figured out how the online classes work yet. It is a little confusing.  Perhaps it is because I haven't taken the time to soak it all in, yet.

Notice how she keeps her hive tool close.  I think she keeps a magnet in her pocket! Pretty smart.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 02:39:20 pm »
Yes, the online is a little confusjng.  I had to keep entering my password to go to each page on the website.