Author Topic: Lots of dead bees  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Tommy

Lots of dead bees
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:45:05 pm »
Well I took a quick peek at the bottom board of my hive today and there sure were a lot of dead bees! So many in fact they were plugging up the exit. So I cleaned it out a bit with a small stick and was quickly greeted by 🐝. I had a quick peek in the top and there were a small number of dead bees up top,  but nothing  compared to the bottom board. From the top it still looked like there were lots of live bees in between the frames. I've read that is normal for winter losses. What experiences have any of you had? Thanks.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Lots of dead bees
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »
I think you're good.  That's just my guess without being able to see what you see.  Bees die everyday, if they are locked up by cold weather they will accumulate on the bottom board until it's warm enough to fly then the girls will start dragging out their dead.  I was SHOCKED the first winter by the piles of dead, figured the colony was a gonner, May rolled around and BOOM! they really took off.  That's my thoughts, we'll see what others have to say.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline becsbeehive

• Beekeeping Equipment suppliers in Australia
    • Bec's Beehive Beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »
Awesome! Action is the best way to learn!
Bec's BeeHive - Beekeeping supplies & Equipment - http://www.becsbeehive.com.au

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:04:24 pm »
Typical to lose a lot of bees over the winter.  Most of what are dying off are old worker field bees that had reached the end of there life cycle.  This is why you want to go into winter with young bees.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:37:13 pm »
My hives have lots of dead bees on the bottom boards as well. I just make sure that the entrances aren't getting clogged up. Here in upper northern California, my bees will be ramping up in about 6 weeks, and there will already be capped brood.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Tommy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:33:22 am »
Thanks for the feedback. When you first see all the dead bees it's a little overwhelming, but once it sinks in that it's part of the normal bee cycle it's a little easier psyche.  Thanks again! 🙂