Author Topic: November 15th 2015  (Read 5338 times)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: November 15th 2015
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 03:50:16 pm »

I caught these critters in my trap this morning.  I was able to give them to some park rangers.  Would any of you like to have had one of them.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 04:56:16 pm »
I would love to have a few of them. I set my trap last Sunday, and so far, the corn hasn't been touched. What did you bait with?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 05:18:20 pm »
@Iddee:

I just used corn with a wee bit of cheap strawberry syrup.  We have a lot of pigs.  I am behind on my trapping this year, but I normally trap 60 to 100 per year.  These two big pigs were sows, but they had not had pigs.  The little pigs were about 60 pounds and the sows were about 140 to 150 pounds.  There is a state park one mile from my ranch and several park rangers and clean up people work there.  Usually, a call to the gate guard will allow me to give the pigs away.  I keep one in the freezer for barbecue.  I like to split the little ones, less than 100 pounds on the hoof, in half and barbecue a half at a time.  The fellow that took these pigs was going to make sausage out of most of the meat.  They tend to be lean and make good sausage.  I don't have the know how or the equipment to make sausage, but I sure love to eat it.

Usually, I just place corn in the feeder.  We had some strawberry syrup that took on a strange look in the bottle, so I poured in on top of the corn.  One of neighbors puts fruit flavored jello on top of his corn or whatever he uses for bait.  I have trapped lots of pigs with just corn.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 01:48:42 pm »
Black birds are exceptable, Starlings are flying rats and I will not eat one let alone 21 of them!.... :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 04:36:55 am »
OH GEE I really did type broccoli didn't I . It was really Brussels sprouts, they make a real good slaw.
To make sausage you just need a grinder and spices. You really do not need to stuff them in a casing.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 09:58:40 am »
OH GEE I really did type broccoli didn't I . It was really Brussels sprouts, they make a real good slaw.
To make sausage you just need a grinder and spices. You really do not need to stuff them in a casing.

;D  Al

You also need the "know how."  I've eaten really good sausage and some that wasn't so good.  If I'm going to eat "not so good" sausage, then I don't want to prepare it.  In our part of the world one needs to find a German, Czeck or Polish person to find good sausage.  Those folks seem to know more about sausage than the rest of us.

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 11:12:08 am »
Here is a link to making sausage. I didn't count all the recipes but there are a lot of them.
http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm
Pick one that sounds good make a small batch maybe a 1/4 of the recipe and see how you like it and if you do then your good to go and if not move on to another one.

As I stated above I made a bunch of venison sausage and a bunch of the summer sausage ones too. I have to stand guard over the fridge when people come as they will filth some to take home.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:06 pm »
"Young year and a half old tender, 20 acres of corn across my north line, 80 acres across my east line, 10 acres of horse pasture across my south line and over 100 acres of corn across the road. I would bet that buck is a corn fed buck and is so tender you cut the steaks with a fork."

yes very young al.................corn fed? steaks tender?  maybe. i doubt it.  80 acres here on my property nothing but corn, but the deer move around. nothing but corn fields around us. still don't like venison from a buck, and personally think let the little ones grow to big ones...........

best vennison is from does IMHO...........
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor