Author Topic: 2016 deer season is finished.  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Chip Euliss

Re: 2016 deer season is finished.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 10:26:43 pm »
My recurve is a Black Widow Some Day.  They are great bows and pretty fast for traditional bows.  I had mine made about 20 years ago if memory serves me.  Mine pulls 58# at 30.5 inches.  Used to do the Arizona/January trip a lot; javelina/coues deer in the morning with the bow and quail in the afternoon with the shotgun and my Britts.  I plan to restart that trip as soon as I get rid of a BUNCH of bees ;D 
Chip

Offline Some Day

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 01:10:39 am »
Chip,

My Black Widow Longbow is 55# at 28" which is my draw length.  I have dropped down in weight on my recurves.  I am shooting 45# now.  Old age and cold weather are catching up to me.

I used to chase Coues deer and Javelina in AZ. I lived there for 10 years. I would backpack into the mountains the week between Christmas and New Years and hunt Coues deer.

If you want to get rid of 30 or so hives of bees, let me know.  I can kill them off with the best of them; based on the last 3 years here.

Wayne

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 09:33:14 am »
AZ is a great place in winter but the summer would be tough at the lower elevations--I don't do heat well, especially without a fishing pole in my hand :)  I hear you about reducing bow weight.  A friend suggested I drop the weight down in Black Widow and I'm glad I did.  My arms are pretty long so 30 1/2 is my draw length.  We're going to sell a semi-load of hives next year and keep our hive count to a more manageable level, 250 or so.
Chip

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 08:56:49 pm »
I've never had anyone try my jerky that didn't think it was the best they ever had. I'll keep using the loin, thank you.

You said "pick the one you want". I pick them all. It's not unusual for me to be given 20 deer in a season. I keep what I need and give the rest to others. None is wasted and I have all the loins I want. I don't jerky them all, but all my jerky is made from the loins.

i Like jerked meat, but dont usually take the time to deal with more than three/four deer for personal use, so you do have an advantage of greater numbers...    With three to four deer the loins and back straps are steaks. Some steaks from hind quarters,most of the rest is ground or cut for making jerky...
   I DO admit that your jerky is the best I have EVER had... but give me the option of jerky or Loin steaks...  man I have to choose the steaks...  NOT, that I am saying you should never send any more jerky!!!!

:laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 09:06:07 pm »
I prefer, AND HAVE, the option of BOTH.  :P   :laugh:

I do keep some loins for steak and roasts, but also jerky a few.  Personally, I am a redneck. Good Bar-B-Que ribs are as good as the best steak, if not better.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »
Good Bar-B-Que ribs are as good as the best steak, if not better.

Cant argue with that. Add a cold beer to wash them down with!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*