Author Topic: It's Time for me to suit up!  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Apis63

It's Time for me to suit up!
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:53:11 am »
I would like to purchase my first bee suit, but the more I look at, the more confused I get! I am looking for suggestions for a nice, ventilated suit. I don't need the Cadillac of all suits, but I would pay a little more to have a nice quality suit. Can you point me in the right direction?

Offline Dunkel

Re: It's Time for me to suit up!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
Hello and welcome Apis63.  I read somewhere else that Mann Lake was going to put ventilated Jackets on sale March 3rd.  I'm not sure about the price or  the suits.  I missed buying one during the fall sale, but I plan on picking one up this time.  I think the Jackets were about 109 free shipping last time. I have seen some good reviews and not so good.  I have them but I very seldom wear the suits have you tried a jacket? I probably would have wore them more if ventilated, but I like the convenience of throwing on a jacket and taking it off quickly.

I guess it is how much do you want to spend and how hard you use them. Glory Bee have some suits for 89 and others all price ranges in between 300 and below.  The ultra breeze suits are very nice and good quality. 

Welcome again and introduce yourself so we can get to know you.  Jen will appreciate another female on this site, she's forming a gang.
The following users thanked this post: Apis63

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
 Welcome Apis63 to the forum, I got a ultra breeze jacket from Pigeon Mountain that I really like, cool in summer and it is harder for the bees to sting you.

Ken

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:25:36 pm »
Welcome Apis63 to the forum, I got a ultra breeze jacket from Pigeon Mountain that I really like, cool in summer and it is harder for the bees to sting you.

Ken

I got my ventilated suit at PM, too several years ago and it's still hanging in there.  I had to rub some wax on the zipper as it was kind of stiff.  I just looked and the  price has went up a little bit, but that's to be expected.  I don't know the exact name of the types, but I prefer the veil that looks like a flying saucer rather than the one that looks  like the space helmet.  I like the 360 screen, it seems to be cooler to me.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Ray4852

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:31:03 pm »
I'm still using my Dadant bee suit now for 9 years. Good suit for the money. I need something cooler to ware in the summer. I'm going to try the ultra breeze.

http://www.ultrabreezesuits.com/

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:05:34 pm »
Welcome Apis63 glad you found us. Great knowledge here on this forum. Like most beekeepers I bought and started out with the full suit zipped veil. Actually the first 2 months I had no suit or veil but a 2 pound package having wax to dray they were to busy keeping the hive to mind me going into them. Now I use If needed a tie on on what ever I am wearing. In addition to a suit an extra tie down veil to provide a sense of security to ones that want to come and watch or roped into help with the heavy lifting.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:24:17 pm »
I agree! Welcome! Get what makes you feel safe, and get something that will last.  I wish I would have spent the extra for a  ventilated suit.  Mine is only used when absolutely needed as it is very warm in the summer months.  I would also suggest a secondary veil for visitors or helpers :yes: 
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:32:35 pm »
Not sure what other ventilated suits are like but I have 2 now actual UltraBreeze ones. My wife got me a full suit about 5 years ago and she just got me a jacket for Christmas. The "UltraBreeze" (not just ventilated) are top notch but not cheap.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline DavidD

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 09:36:33 am »
Welcome  Apis63
 I got the manlake ventilated suit my second year in during the spring sale with free shipping.Have not been stung in that suit yet. The cotton one was just to hot for my area and if I wore my glasses I couldn't see from all the sweating they always ended up just laying in my veil. Now I have a spare suit for who ever wants to help me out.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:18:23 am »
Welcome Apis63.

Whichever suit or jacket you decide to get, it might be worth checking if the veil touches your face when you lean your head back. A bee on the front can then sting you through the veil. The same thing can happen with an all round veil if you lean your head forward.

I have a jacket with no veil at the back (fabric instead) and two horizontal rings (chin and forehead). I wear light coloured jogging bottoms.

Enjoy your bees.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
I have just the jacket that is not ventilated. There are times in the summer that it was. One of these days, I would like to have one of those fancy ones, but for now, I'm going to sweat a little.....or lot.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »
The jacket wasn't included in the spring sale only the 11 percent off.  May end up being a weekly thing later on.  After watching a follow up review I may hold off for the ultra breeze.  Table saw is taking priority right now because it's not so hot out yet:)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:19:14 pm »
Check out BetterBee.com    I purchased my ventilated jacket from them last year and love it. Never got stung through it and the veil goes all the way around.  They have a ventilated suit also.