Author Topic: Christmas songs, your opinion?  (Read 10483 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Christmas songs, your opinion?
« on: December 23, 2023, 10:24:44 am »
It's Christmas Eve Eve. 
Do you have a favorite Christmas song?
Is there a Christmas song that makes you cringe if you hear it?
Do you have a Christmas song that your think is overplayed on the radio?
Do you turn the radio off so that you don't hear any Christmas music?

Feel free to substitute Christmas song for Christmas movie!

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Christmas songs, your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 02:31:56 pm »
I personally can't stand a Christmas radio station (or kind of any radio station) for long because it's too repetitive.  I like basically all Christmas music, but I need variety.  I have a playlist of about 180 Christmas songs that is my go-to.  It's all Christmas music from artists I listen to regularly.  It's largely New Age artists (Enya, Celtic Woman, Loreena McKennitt), traditional Irish music (The Chieftains), American folk (Johnny Cash, a local Appalachian group), contemporary Christian (Lauren Daigle, Francesca Battistelli), rock (Blackmore's Night, and a smattering of one-off 80's Christmas singles from Queen, Prentenders, and the like), and Sleeping at Last, who kind of defies classification.  Just to gives me some traditional feels, I also have a Bing Crosby Christmas collection on there.  I add a new album every couple of years to keep things new and interesting.  I think my favorite traditional Christmas song, regardless of artist, is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".  My favorite non-traditional Christmas songs are "White is in the Winter Night" by Enya, "Snow" by Sleeping at Last, and "Christmas Dreams" by Francesca Battistelli.

For Christmas movies, as a family we always watch Home Alone on Thanksgiving night to kick off the Christmas season, we watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on Christmas Eve, and we always turn on the A Christmas Story marathon on Christmas Day when we are done opening presents.  I don't usually do more than that unless the mood strikes me randomly.  I've seen Christmas Vacation several times and Love Actually several times.   

Edit: I forgot to add that I can't stand it when Christmas stations play covers of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" or "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music.  These are not Christmas songs, and should not be treated as such.  :no:  Pachelbel's "Canon in D", however, does not bother me.           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 12:34:20 pm »
15th, thanks for sharing.  I hadn't heard of those artists. 
I will add my favorite holiday or seasonal song.  The orchestral version of Sleigh Ride is my all time favorite.  Another tune I like, but you never hear is Silver Bells.  It was from a Bob Hope movie.  This brings back memories of me and my sisters around the piano singing that tune sometime back in the '60s.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2023, 02:13:21 pm »
That's sweet.  I actually just heard Silver Bells on the radio a few minutes ago!  My mom has SiriusXM's "Holiday Traditions" station on, and it's quite good, I have to say.  A lot of old songs and a lot of instrumentals, and I haven't heard one recording twice yet, and it's been on most of the day.  Sleeping at Last does Silver Bells too. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen