Author Topic: coop attack!  (Read 12428 times)

Offline mamapoppybee

coop attack!
« on: January 06, 2015, 08:42:03 am »
well once i got my hens up to a good laying age along came some varmints that found them away in. We all know how i like my chickens and wont stand for the raid i received. Found a buddy of mine that had some cage traps and coon cuffs and set out to end the perpetrators. by the five days end of my trapping i had two skunks, an opossum, and one pissed coon cuffed.  So for this springs adventure i will be getting me some more chicks.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
Re: coop attack!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:55 am »
Might want to get some material (will vary depending on how your coop is designed) and close up the openings BEFORE you get more chicks.  I'm sure you don't want to lather, rinse, repeat...

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21:43 am »
I hate coons, the only thing good that comes from them is tooth picks ;D I trap and introduce them to mr. Remington year round, a conservation officer said i couldn't do that, that they belong to the state of Mo. I told him that the state of Mo. had better come and get there property because the Brooks farm doesn't allow the SOB's on it. (Swell Old Boys). ;D So far haven't heard from them :no: Jack

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:33:53 pm »
coop reno as made asap and all is good in the chicken hood thus far.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 10:14:31 pm »
I'm with Jack on coons.  Them and feral pigs are messengers from hades, as far as I concerned.  I trap both of them in live traps, but they don't live long after being trapped.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:43:15 am »
Coons and foxes here..   I buried Dog kennel fencing, the two by 4 square stuff all the way around my chicken pen. It goes up the sides about three feet and two feet are under ground, bent in an  L  shape, so standing at the wire looking in your standing ON the wire under the dirt.. any critter that tries to dig IN just digs down to the wire, they are not smart enough to dig BACK and under.
   It is the first time we have not lost any chickens in many years.. My wife calls it the Chicken fort..   The normal chicken wire then hitches to the dog fence and goes all the way around.
   I am not used to having chickens so long...  What do you do with them when they start to slow up on laying?   Soup?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:45:14 am »
Yup! In The Pot! My mother in law would pressure cook them so they would be tender.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:54 am »
Lazy asks, "  I am not used to having chickens so long...  What do you do with them when they start to slow up on laying?   Soup?"

I believe there is some technique for renewing their egg-laying capacity--the chickens are left hungry (fasting)  for several days, which leads to their shedding their feathers.  Then they are fed normally again, re-grow their feathers and return to full speed laying.
Try looking it up in the literature (Wikipedia?).
I'll try to find out the details myself too, and  pass the word on to you.  It's certainly better and faster than starting with chicks again.

However, in general, during the short winter days, hens naturally reduce their egg-laying.  The shorter days influence the necessaary balance of hormones and laying is reduced.  In Israel, probably elsewhere too,  egg producers turn on lights in the chicken runs during the night, to artificially imitate the effects of longer days.  When longer days return, egg-laying picks up on its own.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:46:14 am »
It's called forced moulting, or molting. It is a natural process that you induce.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moulting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=chicken+moulting&revid=1949540779
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:11:21 am »
My brother, who many years ago raised eggs, sent me these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_moltinganimalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/bell.pdf
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/8851/tec_bul_112.pdf?sequence=1
http://anonymous.org.il/art231.html

He said that food, but not water, was witheld for a few days.  Lighting was only natural daylight, and as the days got longer, the egg laying would resume.  After the foodless period they were fed Dura for a certain amount of time and then they were returned to their normal diet. Apparently timing is an important aspect of this "treatment".

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 07:55:16 am »
I have a hen that is four and a half years old she still lays an egg about every three days depending on the weather. I cant bring my self to cull this one because it was one of the chicks my dad gave me when we first got this place.  Chickens are most productive if there first two years but will still lay an egg every so often. Stewing hens outta old bitties and freezer camp for honer y roosters. Now fellas i wont tell you wives about freezer camp if you dont tell me hubby about the stew pot!  :laugh:

Gypsi

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »
Good point on the secrets of stew pot and freezer camp.  I got tired of stewing old hens that don't lay so I am retiring mine to the apiary to keep pests and weeds under control. They go in the coop 'on the lot". I got no problem with roos going to freezer camp but I am thinking there is a farm that processes them for $2 or 3 each that would save me a lot of time and mess. I just don't see old hens being worth the cost, so I let them retire.

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 02:22:55 am »
We had some hens that died of old age at 7 or 8 years.  Still laying the occasional egg.  I don't like chicken soup and I hate the smell of a stewing hen being boiled down.  Rates right up there with boiling cabbage in my estimation.  Doesn't smell any more appetizing to me than the smell of wet feathers when plucking them.  Commercial egg farms usually send the hens off to the processors at 18 months but, of course, they're adding chicks on a regular basis and loading the chicken crates at the other end of the operation in a continuous rotation.

I keep talking about raising chickens and selling eggs but I hate to butcher them.  I'll have to look around to see if some outfit would do the dirty work for me.  ;D
I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:19:23 am »
To keep chickens laying when the weather gets cold, you need to keep their feet warm. Insulated floor or a dirt floor dug into the earth below frost And enough chickens to produce enough heat to keep the frost out or a heat source.and don't let them out if the outside temp is below freezing or the ground is frozen.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Gypsi

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:29 am »
problem isn't cold here, it is heat.  My ground almost Never freezes.  But they quit laying in the heat, and if I move them to the coop on the lot it is in deep shade and they don't lay as much. then we have fall moult, I got 4 eggs yesterday from the old girls (and those birds are all 3 years old next month except one who was hatched here). right now no leaves on the elm so they are laying

But production reds that lay an egg a day when young seem to run out of eggs by age 2 or 3.  I don't much care anymore. I just let them live their lives out and keep the grasshoppers down.  I am not that big a fan of stewed old bird and by that time half of them have names

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
A young Mennonite family bought the farm next to one of my outyards, he built two chicken houses (over $100.000.00 each) and is building another one bigger than the other two. It is a organic operation, the hens are free to roam in outside pens (on the ground) they go inside and lay there eggs (brown eggs) on a trough in the middle of the building that is a conveyer belt. Stan (the Mennonite) will go to the end of the building where he stands and pushes a button, and the conveyer brings the eggs to him, and he puts them in egg cartons and stores them in a large walk-in cooler behind him. I don't know how often, but a semi truck comes and takes the eggs to Cali. to sell them.I think he buys a new flock of chicks every two years, this year he has white chickens that lay brown eggs :o ??? ??? Jack

Offline Zulu

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 11:29:09 pm »
I have a heat lamp turned way down on a rheostat in the coop, right above where they roost , and it adds light and some heat. 

Mine lay mostly through the winter.  I do have a small time mid summer that they are poor layers but it's only a few weeks. 
4 hens and I get about 20-25 eggs a week , most weeks.  Don't bother to keep records.

Also had a darn hen who was eating the eggs , and it took a lot of work to stop her. Had to change the laying boxes and pull eggs twice a day to leave nothing out there.

Had some critters two and half  years ago , but redid the wiring of the coop and my dogs now do a few circuits a night before bed and I have a red LED that blinks ( supposed to mimic critter eyes) , and no issues in last 18 months.
Zulu's Bees

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:51 am »
Our old hens end up dying of old age or varmint. Kind of the same thing as they slow down in old age. Sweet wife names them all and they still eat ticks, mites and shbs. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Gypsi

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 02:52:43 pm »
that is why mine are in the apiary.  SHB got really bad last year

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »
Been a bit since I checked in here...  I ended up putting a light in our coop, on a timer so they had 15 hours of light..   WOW! I had broody hens a week later and they were laying...  Just shut the light off a couple days ago since there should be long enough days now..  Was nice to have eggs all winter, but you have to be on top of checking for them or they freeze and crack.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*