Author Topic: sudden jump in SHB population  (Read 2133 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
sudden jump in SHB population
« on: September 30, 2015, 01:03:22 pm »
this year there have hardly been any SHB in my hives. In the past 2 weeks their numbers have jumped in the hives that I'm feeding. not enough to worry about endangering the hives but a noticeable jump. I'm wondering if it's related to feeding. these hives are queen-right & strong but a little light which is why they're being fed. I also noticed a week or so ago when open feeding that beetles showed up in the bucket while the bees were feeding.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: sudden jump in SHB population
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 08:42:25 am »
Over the past four years, I have only seen SHBs about six times.  They are not a problem to my bees.  I keep my hives in full sun and my bees are aggressive.  I have read that the SHBs are not a problem to a healthy bee colony.  I don't know if this is correct.  Several companies sell traps for them.  I have never seen such a trap. 

Feed your bees and try to make them prosper is my only advice.  sorry!

Most insects reproduce on an exponential scale if there is not outside influences.  I would think your beetle population has reached a point where there are too many breeding age adults.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 09:02:11 am »
my understanding is that SHB & wax moths are kept in check by strong hives. I'm wondering whether the jump in numbers could be related to the easy access to syrup being provided by feeding. their numbers have been pretty low in my hives all season. I have beetle traps & have installed them. I've mentioned elsewhere that division board feeders can double as beetle traps. they are attracted to them I'm guessing because of residual syrup & having a place to hide. when they are empty I remove them, turn them upside down & tap them on the overturned outer cover & smash the beetles.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 09:58:53 am »
We have found the 'Beetle Bee-Gone' material to snare and hold dozens of SHB in smaller hives.  Going frame by frame and killing every beetle you see works for me, but its not always practical.  You can read about the Beetle Bee-Gone HERE.  HTH

Here is a picture of a piece of this cloth after the bees were finished.  We put the flat, smooth cloth into the hive and a week later the bees had fluffed it up, the fluff caught beetles and the bees put it on the landing board. 

P.S. An occasional worker bees is snared too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:19:49 am by Lburou »
Lee_Burough