Author Topic: Seeking plant identification  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Seeking plant identification
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:49:50 am »

This plant has been blooming for about 1 week.  It has a square stem and the native bees really work them.  I haven't seen a honey bee near them  :sad:  I am wondering if it is a type of nettle.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Re: Seeking plant identification
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:20:12 am »
Square stem, leaves placed opposite each other (not alternatively) and the shape of the flower all lead me to suggest  the Labiaceae family.
Sorry I can't get closer to the species level.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:02:53 pm »
I stopped into the county extension office today on my way out to the hives.  I showed the extension agent the picture and we downloaded it on to her computer.  She emailed me later with the results, and I believe she is spot on.  American Germander
Lamiaceae - Mint Family
http://www.kswildflower.org/flower_details.php?flowerID=97
I had searched the same website but overlooked this species.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:45:17 pm »
It's interesting that the honey bees aren't using it. They tend to work any of the mints. Maybe there is something more productive in bloom.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:48 am »
The Golden Rain Tree are still blooming, but not for long.  Mimosa, chicory, milkweed, and my small vitex are too.  Yesterday I saw a sphinx moth along with a variety of pollinators working this patch.  I also noticed that nothing was working the American Germander the day after a storm blew through.  Like Wandering Man's mesquite trees in Texas, I would speculate the rain washed the nectar out.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:32 am »
late to your question bakers, but it is a germander. i recognized it right away from your pix!

we learned of this plant as it grows wild in sections of our river property but more information from prairie moon nursery who we have contracted with for restoration of some of our land and pollinator habitat.  this plant is in some of our restoration plantings.

native bees are attracted to this plant, not honeybees......i have seen native bees on ours, but also attracts hummers, and hummingbird moths.

here is some info from prairie moon nursery:

"Also called Wood Sage, Wild Basil, and American or Canadian Germander, Teucrium canadense is the most widespread of the 8 Germanders native to North America. Notable pollinators include long-tongued bees, hummingbirds, and hummingbird moths (Sphinginae sub-family). When planted in the right conditions it can be aggressive or weedy, spreading by rhizomes to form large colonies. Like other plants with this reproductive method, they are not well-suited to small landscaped areas.
This plant is easy to confuse with others in the Mint family (Lamiaceae) because of its square stem, opposite leaves, and whorled zygomorphic flowers. Unlike many other mints, the leaves are bitter. "

prairie moon nursery link to info on the plant with picture:

Teucrium canadense Germander
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen