Author Topic: Using Enoz Moth Ice Crystals On Stored Wax Frames  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Using Enoz Moth Ice Crystals On Stored Wax Frames
« on: January 02, 2022, 12:40:53 am »
As usual I froze all my wax frames this Fall for storage. By golly some of my frames have wax moth larvae wiggling around on them... grrrrr. So I've heard of using Enoz Moth Ice Crystals during winter storage. One way of application is to stack 3 boxes, each box filled with 10 frames. Place a paper plate with 3 tablespoons of ice crystals under the stack of boxes. Put the lid on the top box. Leave them like that until you are ready to use them.

Anyone know about this method?

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Using Enoz Moth Ice Crystals On Stored Wax Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 06:24:56 am »
What is the active ingredient?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline RAST

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:42:14 am »
-Dichlorobenzene

Offline RAST

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 08:54:59 am »
Researchgate,net

Para-dichlorobenzene (PDCB) is an insecticide used in beekeeping for wax moth control. Analysis of PDCB residues were carried out on Swiss retail market honey samples by the cantonal food control authorities in 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2002. 173 Swiss honeys and 287 imported samples were analysed. On average, 30% of the Swiss honeys contained PDCB, 13% of them being above the Swiss tolerance value of 10 mug/kg. On the other hand, only 7% of the imported honeys were contaminated. The minimum values were 2 mug/kg, the maximum ones 112 mug/kg. Long-term monitoring of Swiss beeswax, carried out from 1993 to 2000, showed that most of the comb foundation beeswax produced in Switzerland is contaminated by PDCB with values ranging from one to 60 mg/kg. The results show that the reason for this contamination is the use of PDCB for the control of wax moth. These residues can be avoided as wax moth can be controlled successfully with alternative methods, carried out according to good apicultural practice.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 11:14:53 am »
I use that method.  Instead of a paper plate I use newspaper and put the moth crystals right on the newspaper.  You have to be careful to purchase the correct moth crystals as Iddee and RAST are pointing out. Enoz changed their packaging about 2 years ago, making it more difficult to identify the correct product.  Para-dichlorobenzene is the ingredient to look for, like RAST said.  When in doubt, Mann Lake sells Para-Moth. You will be sure you are getting the right ingredients.  https://www.mannlakeltd.com/para-moth-1-lb-454-g-canister
I also noticed when Enoz changed the packaging, the price when up a lot.  Ounce for ounce, the Para-Moth probably costs the same now.

I am curious Jen.  Were those brood frames or honey super frames?  I know a long time beekeeper that says wax moths attracted to the pollen in the brood frames so they are not interested in honey supers.  I am not sure I agree with him.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:06:56 pm »
I use paradichlorobenzene mothballs in my stacks of empty woodenware and drawn comb mostly to deter mice.  I don't use it with frames that have stores in them, I put those in plastic bins.  I always freeze my drawn frames before storage too, and if I notice a reinfestation I just refreeze them.  I'm not sure if the PDCB (especially just the one or two balls per stack that I use) will kill any larvae that are present or if they just deter adult moths from laying eggs there.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 01:52:49 pm »
Oops forgot the photos, here it is again

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 06:35:54 pm »
That's the right stuff.  That's an old package.  They are in plastic bags now and as I said earlier, more expensive. 

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 06:50:42 pm »
 I prefer Certain. One spraying and it lasts for years. No airing before use. Can spray frames while in live hives.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: jb63

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 01:36:02 am »
Certain..? Haven't heard of it before. Amazon says it simply deodorant for men and woman  ???

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: BoilerJim

Offline RAST

The following users thanked this post: BoilerJim

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 01:31:09 am »
Iddee... Yah! I love Bt ... Bacillus thuringiensis. Not allowed in California yet. And one of my bestie beekeeper friends is a licensed bug inspector and treats homes for all kinds of bugs. We live on the Calif Oregon border and she has even tried to use her license in Oregon to buy it. No Go! Disappointing.

One of the beekeepers that used to hang out here on the forum used to mail it to me. But he has a bee store now and cannot take the chance of mailing it out of his state. Understandable.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 11:22:36 pm »
another source
https://www.valentbiosciences.com/cropprotection/products/xentari/
BT works but frames need to be retreated every other year. anyone shipping BT to you should use an alias return address.

i buy moth crystals on amazon a dozen cans at a time. cheaper that way. moth crystals evaporate over time so i use this gadget that i designed. it's refillable you don't have to disturb the stack. just pull out the tray & fill. i evenly space 3 of these in a stack of 10 frames. here's what i bought last year. it's gone up $10.00

https://www.amazon.com/Enoz-Moth-Ice-Crystals-6/dp/B00UXXTG5O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LBL6CL5G1L2H&keywords=enoz+moth+crystals&qid=1641961123&sprefix=enoz+moth+crystals%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-3

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 01:12:28 pm »
rober, didn't you post the directions on how to make your moth crystals drawer?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 02:49:38 pm »
picky picky picky
the design evolved. the 1st group of photos is of the original. the newer version eliminated the 3rd rail & simplified the build. if you click on the photos you'll get a better look. i mortise the outside corners but a butt joint will work.
the outer frame is the same size as a hive box using 2" boards. the cross bar is placed less than halfway from the front. assemble the outer frame ( check for square ) & put the cross rail against the front rail & using a 1 9/16" hole saw bore a hole centered side to side & top to bottom thru the front & center rails. install the cross rail roughly 8" back from the front rail. this dimension is not critical. cut out a slot on an 18" long 1 1/2" pvc pipe. i do this on my table saw. place the pipe thru both cross pieces & glue a cap on each end. at the center cross rail pre-drill an 1/8" hole above the pipe hole at the edges of the slot in the pipe. install an 1 1/4" d.w. screw or a cut 6 penny nail thru the holes so they slightly bear on the slot in the pvc pipe. this keeps the pipe from rotating & spilling the crystals. put the frame in the stack, pull out the pipe, fill with crystals & push it back in.
these photos are of the current version

The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 08:24:08 am »
You should post that up under the DIY section rober

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 09:13:09 am »
maybe a moderator can move it.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 09:31:18 am »
Could, but I feel it has worth here, and in the DIY you could provide specific step by step or dimensions if you wanted…

I’ll see if I can copy it over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau