Author Topic: L.J. Connor  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
L.J. Connor
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »
I've just started reading, Increase Essentials  2nd edition  by Lawrence John Connor, foreword by Kim Flottum.
Pretty good read so far.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: L.J. Connor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:59:13 pm »
Highly recommended reading, Mikey!  Larry is very knowledgeable.  Great guy too!
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:00:49 pm »
B12 or 13, I'm really liking the idea of 5 frame nucs being more like a feral hive situation. And less space.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:59:08 am »
Elaborate on what you are thinking, Mikey.  Are you referring to the outside frames that often are never utilized by the bees?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »
Sorry B12 ,  yes exactly sounds like others are using this method to over winter ? ?
I'm  not big enough with bees yet , but trying to learn more.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:12 am »
I have had success over wintering in a nuc.  I kept a close watch on their food stores.  In early spring, I made sure I moved them to a larger brood box before they had a chance to become over crowded.  I have several nuc boxes that come in handy for all sorts of occasions.  I am not big either.  My numbers go up and down.  I sure do seem to have ALOT of equipment and I think that comes with the title, beekeeper.   ;D

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 08:12:45 pm »
I think I'll wait awhile till I'm confident enough

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
Confident enough? Does that ever happen?

Start a few nucs in the spring, its too late to start now...

The nucs will give you a reason to get into them more often. You need to manage them more aggressively than you do a hive.. they will expand quickly, and need to have frames of capped brood pulled... put those frames in your other hives that need the boost, and swap in frames from that hive that are drawn...
   With the nuc, you always have a queen if you need one, you can strengthen weaker hives with frames of brood. Nucs usually draw WORKER comb rather than drone comb.

The trick, if you wish to overwinter them, is to make sure they are strong, without swarming..  I usually stop pulling resources from nucs about the end of August and let them build up. They are less likely to swarm once it starts to cool down..  feed if they need it so they have the top box filled with capped syrup or honey..  Come October, Insulate the top, wrap with tar paper... Put sugar or winter patties on top of the top bars, and walk away until spring.
   I have had about equal luck wintering nucs WITH an upper entrance as I have without the top entrance... Hives I have always had better luck WITH a top entrance...
    Overwintered nucs command a PREMIUM price if sold the following spring.. they are poised to EXPLODE with bees...   If you lose a hive or two over the winter, the nuc that survived will replace your main hive losses instantly...
   Nucs are GREAT to always have available!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline bananasplit

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 09:13:07 pm »
I just bought this book. Might be a week or two before I start reading it but I look forward to getting started