Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
66061:  I received a text yesterday that a fellow beekeeper's Bee Bee Tree is blooming.

Blue Vine is still blooming strong.
gtrr4--I don't know about the intensity of the sunlight in Ohio, but I can assure you that if I were to leave an observation hive in full sunlight here in Israel, it wouldn't take long before it would turn into bee-hive-soup. 
Many years ago, when I was still marketing my honey, I set up an observation hive to attract business.  It  drew a lot of interest but I made sure to have "cover flaps" to be able to place over the glass walls as the first indications of overheating or distress.
I would keep it in the shade.  You might also check for leakage.  We took a small observation hive to an elementary school without checking it first.  We explained to the children that those little critters buzzing around the classroom were just "flies." 

The kids were okay with it, but the teachers were a little nervous ...

No one got stung, but I wonder how many 1st graders are out there now confusing bees for flies.
Anyone have an opinion if this should be displayed in direct sunlight or the shade?  Curious if sunlight reflecting may cause additional heat inside and harm the bee's or brood. 

Jason

The Trading Post / Re: Kelley Beekeeping $50 extractor
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Yesterday at 09:09:24 am »
Here we go again!  Kelley Beekeeping is offering a $49 extractor with free shipping on most items if you purchase $99.
https://www.kelleybees.com/2-frame-plastic-honey-extractor.html?utm_source=mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BB2plasticExtractor_7.17.18

Don't do the crush and strain method if you don't have to.  You and your bees will be so much farther ahead in the years to come.  Comb is priceless!
General Beekeeping / Dr. Marla Spivak webinar tonight
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Yesterday at 08:59:27 am »
There is a free webinar by Dr. Marla Spivak tonight, July 19, 2018.  The time will depend upon what time zone you are in. The topic is "Why Care About Propolis?"  Go here to sign up. https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3089070613406685955
This is hosted by Brushy Mountain Bee Farm.  I heard Dr. Spivak talk on this subject last month.  I would like to hear it again.
I apologize for the short notice.  I signed up and then forgot about it.   :-[
Recipes Using Honey / Re: Rhubarb Pie
« Last post by Bakersdozen on July 18, 2018, 10:49:11 am »
She worries about biting into an especially tart spot.  :-X

My sister stopped by for a visit and I convinced her to try a slice.  I had made my mother's pie dough recipe and that convinced her to try.  She never like rhubarb pie because of the tartness.  She was surprised because this wasn't tart.  There is a little bit of tang to it though.  I would suggest cutting the rhubarb into small pieces and coating well with the honey and sugar.  That should help.  I don't know, but some rhubarb may be more tart than others.
Pests and Diseases / Re: gardstar/permethrin follow up
« Last post by Wandering Man on July 18, 2018, 08:50:07 am »
Would the swifer sheets work ? (Don't know never used ) ?

We use handi wipes cut into smaller squares. They catch a few. Also use the beetle jails and Freeman bottom boards.
Recipes Using Honey / Re: Rhubarb Pie
« Last post by Wandering Man on July 18, 2018, 08:46:26 am »
I miss rhubarb pie. My grandmother used to make them. 3Reds doesn’t trust rhubarb or cherry pies. She worries about biting into an especially tart spot.  :-X
Recipes Using Honey / Rhubarb Pie
« Last post by Bakersdozen on July 18, 2018, 08:08:25 am »
Rhubarb Pie
4 c. fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 c. honey
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter

In a large bowl combine rhubarb and honey.  Coat rhubarb well with honey.  Combine sugar, flour, and salt and add to rhubarb.  Mix well.  Place pie crust in the bottom of pie plate.  Pour in rhubarb filling.  Dot with 2 Tablespoons of butter.  Place a second pie crust sheet on top of filling, crimping the edges.  Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Cut air slits.  Bake at 425 degrees for 40-50 minutes. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10