Author Topic: Milky Spore  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Mcedwar

Milky Spore
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:37:02 pm »
I’m looking for ways to control the green beetles. Asian Beetles I think. They have stripped my apple trees in two or three days in the past. I’ve used Bayer tree drench (neonicotinoid) in the past, but now with the bees I don’t want to use it.

I got some chickens this year, but only five of them. I’ve heard of Milky Spore but it seems suspicious that there isn’t more information about it. Seems that it’s been around since the 50s. Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Milky Spore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:54:50 pm »
At this time of year when the trees have finished blooming, the dandelions are mostly finished. the risk from pesticide application is the bees picking up the moisture form the spray, and the spray drifting into the hive or onto adjacent flowers.
Spray before the bees start to forage, leave enough time so any moisture can evaporate before the bees start to fly. make sure the spray is not drifting into the hive while applying it.
Or do as I do and cover the hives with a white bed sheets, place a sprinkler on top of the hives and turn it on. Do this before the bees start to fly, then spray and leave the sprinkler running till all the spray mist is dry. Then remove the sprinkler and bed sheet and allow the bees to fly. The water from the sprinkler will wash and dilute any drifting spray from entering the hive. and the bees will stay in the hive as long as they think it is raining.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:34:32 pm »
I've used milky spores trying rid our yard of grubs.  EVERY time I dig 12 inches deep I find a grub.  It has been five years and the moles might be avoiding the area of application, but, I'm not sure.  It didn't hurt anything.
Lee_Burough

Offline Mcedwar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 02:18:46 am »
I've used milky spores trying rid our yard of grubs.  EVERY time I dig 12 inches deep I find a grub.  It has been five years and the moles might be avoiding the area of application, but, I'm not sure.  It didn't hurt anything.
What I’ve read about Milky Spore is that it will only kill Asian Beetle larva. There are many other possible grub species. I don’t know if you can tell them apart till they reach adult phase.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 11:28:25 am »
"I’m looking for ways to control the green beetles. Asian Beetles I think."

these are japanese beetles, not asian beetles:

JAPANESE BEETLE

jack (brooksbeefarm) has a recipe for these plant/tree destroying insects.  see if i can find it.

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Mcedwar

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 07:32:21 am »
Yes, Japanese.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:06:21 am »
I learned something yesterday.  A harmless way to destroy Asian beetles is with a soapy water solution.  I don't know the details, but I would recommend Dawn.