Author Topic: Sugar bricks to early.  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Sugar bricks to early.
« on: November 30, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »
Was wondering if you install sugar bricks , early when it starts to get near freezing at night.  Then you have a warm week and bees are bringing sugar out of hive. Are you over working winter bees?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Sugar bricks to early.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:29:30 pm »
You add sugar bricks when the hive weight requires them, not by the calendar.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »
2 hives ,2 - 10 deep,1 med. super fully capped on each with shim and sugar on top . So do lift heft , then add feed when necessary

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »

Mikey, Like iddee said.  I have sugar bricks on now and this is very early.  All my hives were light when I did the heft test.  We had no spring, a drought all summer, and rain that came too late to do any good for the nectar producing plants.  We went straight into very cold and snowy conditions.  So, before last weekend's storm, I put sugar bricks on.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:33:11 pm »
With a full capped super and what is in the deeps, you shouldn't need any feed.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 10:39:28 pm »
At one point this year the entire west coast line was on fire. So much smoke all the way from Mexico to Canada. If the sun cannot reach the flowers due to the smoke layer, there is very little nectar. I didn't even have to do a heft test this year. Last inspection showed only have a super full of honey at best. So I've had my sugar cakes on for over a month, plus jars of syrup until it became too cold for syrup.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:23:17 am »
At one point this year the entire west coast line was on fire. So much smoke all the way from Mexico to Canada. If the sun cannot reach the flowers due to the smoke layer, there is very little nectar. I didn't even have to do a heft test this year. Last inspection showed only have a super full of honey at best. So I've had my sugar cakes on for over a month, plus jars of syrup until it became too cold for syrup.
Wow Jen!  Wonder what that did to everyone's respiratory systems?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 02:45:36 pm »
Question,
After summer solstice.  Queen slows down laying(if thats correct) when do winter bees emerge? (Dec.21 winter solstice) Q starts laying again)  can we over work the life span of worker bees by adding winter feed to soon and they use energy trying to remove sugar?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 02:52:00 pm »
First, sugar brick should be above capped honey, or at top if no honey present.
Second, they should not be removing brick, only loose sugar.
Third, winter bees in this climate are raised in Sept., Oct., and maybe Nov.
Summer bees should also be present until Nov. or Dec.
Don't worry about overworking them.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »
They are bringing in lots of orange pollen an offwhite pollen,  don't know where it's from?  (Plants)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
Lose sugar from outside edges,  is what they were moving outside,   :yes:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 07:21:25 pm »
Asthma, nose bleeds, sore throats for many of us pretty much wrapped it up for our summer. I finally went to the doc with sores in my nose that would not heal. Neosporin was prescribed which helped immensely.

So about feeding, here in upper northern Calif, not all but the majority of our hives, commercial and backyard beekeeping, are so depleted of honey reserves and going into winter with smaller colony's. So much absconding.

We just got our first bit of snow last night. So Thankful! I've decided to put on sugar cakes and winter paddies, maybe even banana  ;D Give the bees a full on buffet for winter and survial

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:51:09 am »
https://honeybeesuite.com/have-beekeepers-gone-bananas/
Jen, here's something i read about bananas.
The following users thanked this post: CBT

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »
Thanks Mikey, nixing the banana   :) 8)

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 09:20:37 am »
While I had a surprisingly good honey year in Piedmont North Carolina this year, the bees put up little or nothing after our main flow.  Most of my hives have gone into winter as light as they have ever been.  I have made extra shims and a large supply of sugar bricks.  Yesterday I took advantage of mid-60's to put a shim and bricks on the last hive that still had a top feeder (empty) on it.  The cluster was in the top super and I slid the bricks over them.  If bees are carrying out some loose sugar, and least I have live bees.  I can always give them more sugar.  I am lifting hives regularly, and if weight indicates, popping the top to see where the cluster is and if more bricks are needed.  In our area we usually have enough 50F+ sunny days to do quick peeks throughout winter.

Off topic--glad to see iddee has come out of hibernation.
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 04:19:56 pm »
Jacobs,
How much honey did you get this year?
Do you always pull honey super after 1st flow?  After 4 yrs.  I've. realize here in the sandhills,  there's not enough nectar flow.
2nd time so i experimenting by leaving capped supers on (1 super capped)   on. Not necessarily as feed but a heat sink above. I maybe wrong but I'm trying to find what works for me.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 04:35:06 pm »
That's not just for Jacobs, anyone please chime in

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 05:24:15 pm »
Honey is 7 to 12 dollars a pound. Sugar is 30 to 50 cents a pound.

Your choice
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 07:28:20 pm »
I lost 2/3rds of my bees last winter and most of the ones that made it were not particularly strong.  I came out of winter with 12 hives.  Some of the honey frames were from dead outs, but the bulk were taken off of functioning hives between May 15th and July 15th.  I only do pint jars, and had around 450 when all was said and done.  Not all hives made honey, but the ones that did, did really well.  On occasion, I was able to take an entire medium super or two from the strongest hives.  Normally, in our area, I don't get to take a full super at a time.  I have to get capped frames as they appear and store them until I have a decent amount to extract.

Ours is not a good honey producing region--our spring bloom is fairly extended and much of what the bees collect goes to feed ever increasing brood.  I take fully capped honey frames as I run across them.  I also store partial frames of honey in the freezer if I get them (from dead outs or from hives that I reduce in size based on bee population).  These go on hives after the main flow as feed and additional space.  If the fall flow does decently, these frames may provide the medium super of honey per hive we need for over winter.  This year didn't work that way.  I could smell the "stink" of fall nectar in hives, but the bees consumed what they brought in.  At my home hives, I fed 1:1 until temperatures got too cool.  I wanted brood rearing to go as long as possible in these hives.  They now have sugar bricks.  As weather permits, I may add supers with partial frames of honey from storage and move the shims & bricks above added supers.  I have not had to do this before, but flow, weather, and the condition of the hives play a large part in the adjustments I make from season to season.

I try to plan.  Nature and the bees then dictate what I wind up doing.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:38 pm »
Lose sugar from outside edges,  is what they were moving outside,   :yes:
That means they consider the loose pieces of sugar to be debris, and not food.  Hopefully, they won't waste too much of it.  :)
Lee_Burough