Author Topic: Biggest Mistake Award!  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Biggest Mistake Award!
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:57:13 pm »
I think I get this month's award for making THE BIGGEST MISTAKE in beekeeping!  I found a queen still in her cage inside a hive!  I am not sure how long she was stuck in there.  It's been at least two weeks, possibly more.
We have had nothing but rain for about 2 weeks.  Not sprinkles, toad strangling down pours.  It's really hard to check on hives when it's raining, or your at work, or your dealing with life!  I found an hour late this afternoon, in between cloud bursts.  I went through hives quickly to see how they were doing.  I found the poor little queen still in her cage.  Her attendants were all dead. 
And to think, I debated between trying to cut some grass or check on hives.  (Of course, you know I am going to favor checking on bees.)
Any way, it's pouring rain again.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Biggest Mistake Award!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 08:36:35 pm »
I hope you released her. I knew an instance where a beek left one in a queen clip for 30 days. She started laying when released and was a good queen afterward. It didn't seem to bother her performance at all.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 05:27:05 am »
Yes, I released her.  She scurried out and down in between the frames.  Fortunately, I had caught this colony queenless right away and the worker numbers were still high. 

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:08:03 am »
Biggest mistakes? Oh let me count the ways!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 11:35:52 am »
Oh Baker! I love your straight forward honesty :D These are the beekeeping moments where I fix the mishap and skulk way mumbling 'I just won't mention this one' eyes shifting from side to side.

Like Tec said 'Let me count the ways'

There Is Peace In The Queendom