Author Topic: Food Savers  (Read 11117 times)

Offline Dunkel

Food Savers
« on: February 26, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »
I have gotten quite interested in the vacuum sealers here lately.  My buddy got one for Christmas, very basic model from Cabelas.  We used it on some summer sausage and jerky with good results.  Also came in handy when we smoked 4 butts and some ribs.  I have glanced at some of the options and reviews out there.

Does anyone on here have any experiences or advice on vacuum sealers?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Food Savers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:36:13 pm »
I have 2 food saver vac units. I replace them about every 3 years. They don't last long and there are no repair parts available, nor repair centers. They are the ""use til quit, then toss"" machines.  If you have a few bags to do, they work nice. If you have 2 deer or a whole cow to do, you better have 2. They will overheat and stop working with about 20 to 30 bags. That's why I keep 2 at all times. They will work again after cool down, for 2 to 4 years, then stop totally.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:16:23 pm »
I've had it with the Food Savers,  not only don't they last, but the bags cost an arm and a leg.   I seriously want to give the Sinbo a try, but just haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet.   Will have one before next hunting season though.   

These use the much cheaper chamber type bags and can also be used on mylar bags (good for long term storage).  I think I can still use my mason jar sealer attachment from the Food Saver with this too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinbo-Light-Industrial-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B00GN2KU0O/

Rob....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:19:20 pm »
I was hoping someone wouldn't say that.  I kind of was wishing someone would say get this one for a little more and that's all you will ever need :)  I guess I could get one and use his also on a big project.  We did a few backstraps that were nice but ziplocked everything else on those last deer. Is it worth spending more on the higher priced units.  Especially in performance, or attachments and variable speeds etc.  I watched a youtube on the ones that held the rolls and had a cutter, that seemed nice.  Vacum sealing mason jars seemed like a good option. 

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:22:15 pm »
More bad news from Robo while I was replying.  Sounds like get the cheapest for occasional use from Wal-mart and save the box.  I love a gadget I can use, but you guys are putting out the fire.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:50:14 pm »
The reviews on the Sinbo seem to be good.  If you really want one to last for ever,  you need to spend the buck on a chamber sealer.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
Robo, that doesn't sound too bad.  Can't cough up the extra on a chamber sealer as of right now, if ever. But that sinbo is right in the same price range as the food savers. Why don't you go ahead and try it out and let us know the differences ;)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:02:48 pm »
Dunkel, I just sent the sinbo website to my research dept. ""my son"". I'll let you know what I find out.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:56 am »
ty for starting this thread this has been something i have been on the  fence about for over a year now. all feed back is of great help.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 07:16:50 pm »
Good to get other peoples experiences on things I know little about.  That's been one of the great things about the internet. Meeting and discussing things with people like you all.