Author Topic: Big shoes to be filled  (Read 19688 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Big shoes to be filled
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:20 pm »
With the tragic loss of Alexander Shalin, the head of beekeeping for the entire Province of Nova Scotia, and the pending retirement of our Provincial Bee Health Adviser in April/May, it is becoming worrisome as to our future and what shape it make take here. Beekeeping was only one part of Alexander's portfolio, and Nova Scotia has only had a part time Bee Health Adviser (50%).
I wonder if perhaps the Province may look at combining the two and creating a full time (strictly) beekeeping position? There are a couple of excellent candidates that immediately spring to mind that may be interested, but would have never been approached before as it would never make sense for them when the position was only part time.
Our AGM is held in March, and I don't know if that would be a good time to bring it up.
Certainly a dialogue should start asap.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Big shoes to be filled
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:44:50 pm »
I once thought... Somebody ought to take action on that.

Then, I realized, I AM SOMEBODY.

Take the hint, Perry.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
It came to my mind before I finished reading your post. I sure think you have the communications skills!
Frank

Offline Marbees

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »
As SOMEBODY with communication skills, just do it ;)
Bee Remarkable

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »
I'd vote for Perry!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:21 pm »
No, no, no, no, no!
I hope that I did not mislead anyone with this post. I am in NO WAY qualified. These positions are filled by people with University degrees and such.
Also, at this point in my life, a position like that is not in my sight, not by a long shot! I was flattered to be asked to do inspections on a part time basis, and if asked again by any successor I would certainly be open to it. I have a grade 12 education, and while I have some experience keeping bees, it is basic at best, far less than what is required.
No, I was thinking that perhaps having one position filled by someone on the forefront of research or something like that. Alberta has Medhat Nasser, or maybe Adony Melathopoulos, people with credentials that could perhaps put us out front.
Honey bees were only a part of Alexander's responsibilities, mink farming, crop science (strawberry virus's, etc.) formed a greater part of his work. If he had been able to focus on bees only....Wow!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:18:51 pm »
How about Provincial Bee Health Adviser? It is part time, and sounds like a great step in learning the ropes for future advancement.  As for education, I've met too many educated idiots to ever let that even be considered.

You have 12 years, I finished the 8th grade, dropped out in the ninth. I have been founder and president of a c chapter corp., and an s chapter corp. I have been managing partner in an llp and an llc. Schooling has absolutely NOTHING to do with education.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:37 pm »
How about Provincial Bee Health Adviser? It is part time, and sounds like a great step in learning the ropes for future advancement.  As for education, I've met too many educated idiots to ever let that even be considered.

You have 12 years, I finished the 8th grade, dropped out in the ninth. I have been founder and president of a c chapter corp., and an s chapter corp. I have been managing partner in an llp and an llc. Schooling has absolutely NOTHING to do with education.

Well said Iddee!!!
   MOST of the highly educated Mechanics the dealership hired when i worked for GM were incredibly book smart, but MOST of them had trouble changing an oil filter. One of them as his first job rotated the tires on a customers car.. put the lug nuts on backwards.. we called him Lugnut until he was finally let go.  Degrees are great, IF that intelligence can be put into practice. A lot of VERY VERY smart people I have met somehow lost the ability to combine that vast intelligence with common sense.  I'll take hands on experience EVERY day over book learning.
   I took the ASE tests, and was a bit worried about them. Turns out they are based well in practicality. I passed them all, the bookworm that rode up to take the tests with me failed all but one of them.
   Theres a lot to be said about hands on knowledge. Not trying to talk you into anything Perry, just dont want you to THINK even for a minute that you couldnt organize that mess.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rcannon

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
I agree with Iddee, education does not equal intelligence. I know several people with Masters degrees who can't get dressed in the morning if their mother's not awake.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »
My company has a rule that you have to have at least an associate's degree to get into a training program that mostly works with shovels and wrenches.  It looks better to the public.

When I was a union rep, I argued endlessly against this rule.  Qualified, hard-working people would not be considered for a manual labor type job.  It has been my observation that college educated people don't necessarily like to get their hands dirty or blistered.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:11 pm »
 "It has been my observation that college educated people don't necessarily like to get their hands dirty or blistered."

i r college edjucated .....errr educated! (lol)  :) ........slow come on up my way, and i will show you what dirty and blistered is........ :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:13 pm »
 ??? College educated you say Squirt? Did you know the honey bee or Yellow jacket? on your Avatar was up side down. :laugh: Jack

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:54 pm »
Hoo boy Jack, you just opened a can.......! :o
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:31:22 am »
Could there just be a teensy weensy bit of stereotyping going on here!   :D
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:59 am »
Just the opposite, crofter. We are saying there are smart ones among the non-schooled, and dumb ones among the schooled. It's the fact that stereotyping doesn't work in this case. You can't tell an individuals intelligence by his level of schooling.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Crofter

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:17:48 pm »
Strengths differing. IQ is not a very good tool at predicting what a person will be good at. When we were going to school a lot of people dropped out because they did not fit into the one size fits all curriculum. Some people with exceptional IQs have an impossible time with spelling and writing and the assossiated problems with visual mathematics. That would be certain fail by conventional old teaching /testing. Others are strong in visual processing and total duds in auditory processing.

Todays use of computers and calculators and such has levelled the playing field a lot

Getting back to Perry saying he could not handle that job and us voting for him. He has to know himself and what he likes to do and what he does not. I hated record keeping, filing, etc. On several occasions I got myself into a position where that was a big part of the job. Another might be dealing with personnel disputes and customer services. Some people like the challenge and are fulfilled by doing it and others are left exhausted by it and take it to bed with them at the end of the day.
You dont want to miss out on a good opportunity by underselling yourself but you also dont want to get into a situation where you are constantly grasping or grinding your teeth.
Frank

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:34 pm »
VERY, VERY GOOD POST.

Just realize most people are capable of 150% of what they realize. Don't let lack of self confidence deny you anything you desire. Just go get it.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
"Just realize most people are capable of 150% of what they realize. Don't let lack of self confidence deny you anything you desire. Just go get it."

absolutely, just go get it, and go after that fire burning in your heart and soul, and your desires, college education or not. sometimes there is rejection, but don't quit, or don't let that be a barrier, just keep on trying....

jack, my avatar is upside down?   :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:30:52 pm »
Two important hings to say here:

First, I wouldn't want the job at this point in my life, even if I was qualified. (I have it too good as it is).  ;)

Second, river, I think Jack has been nipping (you know what I mean, probably into the mead) and he's upside down looking at the screen!  :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 08:07:06 pm »
Judge not a man by the abundance of possessions, but by his freedom from wants! 

(Porter Wagner)

Frank