Author Topic: Venison Summer Sausage.  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Venison Summer Sausage.
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:29 am »
6 pounds of thawed venison non adulterated.

2 table spoons of Mortons tender quick salt.

2 table spoons of garlic powder

2 table spoons of onion flakes

2 table spoons of mustard seeds.

1 table spoon of liquid smoke.

Remove rings from fingers and massage the venison to work the spices in to the meat. Spend a bit of time to make sure it is well mixed in about 10 minutes.

When finished set in fridge covered for 24 hours to allow the spices to meld into the meat. Then work it with our fingers once again then set in fridge another 24 hours.

3d day repeat the mixing and 24 hours in the fridge.

Day 4 line a cookie sheet with alum foil, preheat oven to 200F.

Remove venison mix and roll into logs about one inch in dia. And lay on the cookie sheet. Leaving a bit of room between the rolls   Bake in the preheated oven until the logs are no longer pink in the center, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F 6 to 8 hours. Turn the meat once or twice during cooking. Allow to cool before slicing thinly and serving.

There are other cooking methods used for this. My mom would roll the logs in foil tightly and bring water to a boil and cook for that 160F temp.

I my self don’t want to be checking the oven for 6 to 8 hours so set the ovens temp at 325F and cook for 1.5 hours then check with thermometer for 160F temp.
Let cool on the cookie sheet then remove the rolls to a platter lightly cover with a cling type wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours.

Then remove the rolls from the fridge and slice 1/8th inch slices and place in a food storage bag. Take some with you to munch on at the deer blind, deer camp or where ever.

Note if you have added pork to your venison you will have a bunch of grease on the cookie sheet so be careful removing from the oven.
DO NOT wear flip flops doing this.  Just ask My friend Bill how hot grease feels on a bare foot.

:D      Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Venison Summer Sausage.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »
Let me give you my address so that you can mail me some.    :laugh:
Sounds good!

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Venison Summer Sausage.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 06:10:34 pm »
Yumm!!!!  :)