Author Topic: Linux Precise Puppy 5.7 (newest release is sweat)  (Read 4535 times)

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Linux Precise Puppy 5.7 (newest release is sweat)
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:24:34 am »
I have been using an older version for a long time and finally got around to updating the version I was using.
Have an old slow computer? Linux Precise Puppy 5.7 may be the solution for you. The links to the downloadable files are provided in links below. The file is an iso image file that you burn to a CD or DVD. The disk is then inserted into the CD \ DVD drive on starting your computer. This operating system copy's itself to the ram memory and runs itself from there. It has all the tools you need to run your your computer It contain Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Power Point, Chat, Email Internet browser with all the required plugins such as Flash Player, Java Script, bad spelling highlighting with Word Dictionary.

Precise Puppy 5.7
This pup comes in two flavors, one for older hardware and/or those on dial up Internet, the other for those with relatively modern hardware.
*Retro versus Modern
If you still connect to the Internet by analog modem dial-up, you will need to use the Retro flavor if you have one of those winmodems (modems designed for MS Windows). However, there is support from some winmodems in the Modern flavor. Also, true-hardware modems will work in either flavor. If you have an ancient true-SCSI hard drive or CD drive, you will need the Retro flavor.
The Retro 3.2.48 kernel is configured for a minimum i486 CPU, no PAE support (so will not recognize more than 4GB RAM), supports the old ISA and EISA cards, and true-SCSI drives. The Modern-flavor 3.9.11 kernel requires a i686 CPU minimum (which is the vast majority), will recognize more than 4GB RAM, will not work with ISA/EISA.
Apart from the above considerations, a slow and/or RAM-limited PC will perform better with the Retro. Very roughly, if your PC has a i686 (or better) class of PC with at least 512MB RAM, choose the Modern flavor.

The "modern flavor" only has one browser, SeaMonkey, and forgoes most of the analog modem and true-SCSI drivers, and is the choice that will suit most people. You also get the benefit of a much smaller download.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/precise-5.7.1.iso

The "retro flavor" is an upgrade path for those who have older PCs and analog modem dial up -- unlike most other Linux distributions, it continues to support a wide range of analog "winmodems". It also has two web browsers, SeaMonkey and Opera, the latter preferred for PCs with less than 256MB RAM.
[url]http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/precise-5.7.1-retro.isoPrecise Puppy 5.7
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.